Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Jeepers, this is my second Jeep build. My first was a 2002 TJ that I built while I was in the Marine Corps. This time around I have a toddler and a 2014 JKU. So far I swapped out all of the stock lights for fairly inexpensive LED headlights, fog-lights, marker lights and tail lights. I also picked up a set of 2017 stock take off rims and tires with like 5k miles on them. Over all the LED lights and newer rims give it a polished look. Unfortunately for my wish list, and fortunately for my wallet this is my daily driver so I am not going to go too crazy in the short term. I am planning on posting updates of my build so I can keep track of everything I have done to it.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WTH is that on the tire???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

According to the google, it is a “daring jumping spider” it can apparently jump 50x it’s own length and is not harmful to Humans. It can have green, blue or violet fangs. It was kind of timid when I took the picture...have not seen anything like it before or since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
According to the google, it is a “daring jumping spider” it can apparently jump 50x it’s own length and is not harmful to Humans. It can have green, blue or violet fangs. It was kind of timid when I took the picture...have not seen anything like it before or since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gross, if that were my tire it would now have torch marks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, this morning My wife, son and I went to my parent’s for breakfast. About 20 minutes after leaving, my father called me and said that there was a massive puddle of oil where I had been parked. Luckily I did not lose a horrible amount before getting home and starting to look for the cause. After about 5 minutes of looking around I found the culprit was a leaking oil filter housing. Ordered a replacement, a felpro intake gasket kit and enough oil to do a change when I swap out the part. Minivan has 99k miles and I figure either the housing cracked or the o-rings are leaking, either way it is time to do the change. Will update again when the job is complete probably Wednesday or so.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After some awful weather and a cold, I was able to replace the oil cooler and clean up all the oil that had leaked into the engine valley and down the sides of the trans all the way back to the rear diff housing on the axle. The disassembly and reassembly of the engine was fairly straight forward, although I am not a huge fan of plastic housings like the oil cooler. I also swapped the stock hood latches out for JL style ones. I am not completely sold on them yet and will give it a few weeks to sink in and if I still feel the same about them.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been awhile since my last update. The day after I replaced the oil cooler my wife took my Jeep to the Grocery Store and when she “was accelerating from a stop sign” a cel came on. (When I asked what rpm she was at she said 5000 ) essentially she floored it at the stop sign at the end of the road and it was not warmed up. The code was a P06DA and P06DE. After researching the issue everything led to the oil pump solenoid being the culprit, so I ordered a new oil pump and solenoid from Rockauto and installed it. First start threw a P06DD code and the new pump could not generate more than 50psi. I pulled the lower pan off and swapped the o-ring again but still no dice. I was understandably mad that the pump was not working. At this point after looking over the chain of events that led me to where I am, I determined that ordering an oil pump that was not a name brand was my mistake. I ate my pride and ordered a melling pump. After pulling everything apart again, it finally fixed the problem. Then wifey took my Jeep out again and the check engine light came back on. Luckily this time it was just a P0456 evap. New gas cap took care of it. Now wife wants her own Jeep “because I can fix it” oh the joys of Jeep ownership .

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have also Installed a Bestop sunrider for hardtop. Having a toddler really makes a hardtop more convenient that a soft top, however I still like the open air function and the freedom panels are a royal PITA. So far this is my favorite upgrade followed closely by the mopar kicker speaker upgrade and a kicker sub to replace the muddled alpine package one. Also.....picture is a hint at the next project now that the engine is running properly again.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I received a package containing replacement powder-coated stainless fasteners to replace the stock windshield hinge and hood cowl screws. I am quite happy with how it looks. For anyone interested I got the screws from Route 66 mods.

I also have a Rubicon D44/J8 tubed front axle on the way. I will be posting more build updates as parts come in and I start building up the new front end.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New axle housing was delivered this week. I have already gotten some of the stock brackets cut off. I tigged together the high mount track bar bracket and have mocked up the truss to get ready to prep for welding. I will be tig welding the truss and all brackets to the housing.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got all the stock brackets cut off, waiting on the LCA brackets to show up then I will start welding the brackets and truss on.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today, I was able to get the first part of the truss welded on. I went with an ER70S-2 rod on the tubes and an ER312 rod on the cast section. If anyone plans on installing a truss and tig welding it on, I highly recommend the 312 rod. No pre or post heat and it flowed into the root nicely. As soon as the new LCA mounts arrive I will be able to move on and weld the rest of the truss on.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Started getting the LCA brackets burnt into the tubes, this axle is coming along nicely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts