Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone else has found a way to secure the hardtop retainer nut under the lip better then the "clips". I find that the back two will not stay in place and the other 4 are not much better. This makes it a challenge when I mount my rear deck, as well as the hard top.

I've used a small sheet of paper towel stuff under them to help keep them in place. But figure there must be a better way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I just put the bolt back in mine. Snug it down.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, challenge is once I take them out and put the rear deck on the nuts don't stay in place, I've nearly stripped a couple out. If they were mounted in place better this wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
524 Posts
How about cutting some 3M automotive double stick foam tape to match the top face? I haven't tried removing and installing them, so no clue if this can be achieved without it sticking to the wrong thing.

If installed and then bolted firmly, but not tight, for at least a day, the adhesive should be good and stuck.

Just make sure it stays out of the threads.

·
Registered
372 Posts
How about cutting some 3M automotive double stick foam tape to match the top face? I haven't tried removing and installing them, so no clue if this can be achieved without it sticking to the wrong thing.

If installed and then bolted firmly, but not tight, for at least a day, the adhesive should be good and stuck.

Just make sure it stays out of the threads.
If I'm not mistaken, you have to slide them into position after you get them on the rail. If that's correct, this solution may not be an option...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Interesting... mine have never fallen out. I drive with my softtop on for five months each year over a three year period, and not one has fallen off. I wonder if they changed the design?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting... mine have never fallen out. I drive with my softtop on for five months each year over a three year period, and not one has fallen off. I wonder if they changed the design?
Could be, the two in the back don't stay in place, which isn't a big deal until I try to put the nut in and find if I'm not perfectly aligned with the sun-moon-stars-retaining nut that it pushes downward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts