Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still arguing with myself on this one...not 100% sure if I'm gonna do it yet or not but I'm leaning towards yes.

My goal? Secure sub mount in the back of the Jeep (rear seat removed). I have a couple Elemental Designs 10" subs sitting in the shed and I'm thinking about selling one and using the other. Downfiring box with amp mounted on the underside to keep it hidden and dry in the summer. I want to design the top with a slant so that I can mount my spare tire carrier to it (reinforced with a large metal plate so it won't break out of the wood). Giving my Jeep kind of a "baja" look with the top off.

Thinking of using the rear seat brackets that contain the pivot points to hold one side of the box off the ground and then using torx bolts or something on the other side to secure it. Entire box will also be coated in roll on bedliner in order to protect it from the elements.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
sounds like a good idea, you should sell both subs and get a 12" sub.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been trying to sell em for years...nobody's heard of Elemental Designs and has no interest in them. I don't listen to a whole lot of rap/hip-hop anyway...so a 10" or two work great for my rock/metal/country listening needs. lol

I'm actually debating hanging onto the 10's (keeping them for sale...lol) and buying my old 6.5" subs back from my buddy for $50. They may be tiny, but them suckers THUMP...and they require virtually no space whatsoever.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Sounds good, I had my box mounted rear seatless and the mounting points for the seats can be used for it, because otherwise there arent alot of options hahaha.

Goodluck and have fun, cant wait to see the aftermath!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A friend of mine recently gave me an 8" pre-amped Bazooka tube. It sounds great, more than enough bass for the Jeep and those around it. I installed it using electrical connectors that can remove easily for days that I need to remove it due to weather.

The tube fits nicely behind the two front seats. Although I do not have the rear seat installed, I think its should fit between the three seats.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
there are alot of people out there who knows what Elemental Designs is. you could sell them real quick on caraudio.com's forum.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked with my buddy who's a car stereo nut and compared ideas...an idea he's thinking is we'll build up a frame out of tube steel around the outside of the box and use that to support the spare tire carrier so the box itself will not be supporting any of the weight of the spare tire and then build the box within the frame. We have access to both types of welders--a mig welder and a friend who welds, lol. This will be nice for two purposes... securing the box for theft prevention and ensuring that I'll never have any problems with the weight of the spare eventually breaking the mount away from the box.

Something else I've thought about...making the box both easy and difficult to remove.

Possibly welding on some mounting tabs which will be held into place with industrial padlocks and then when they're removed, making it really easy to just pull the entire system out by removing the two padlocks. If I follow that route, all wiring will be utilizing quick connects so the system will be easy to just unplug it for removal. The reason for this...if I need cargo space in my Jeep for something like a long trip or to haul my dog somewhere, I can just pull that assembly out and be good to go.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
sounds like building a good frame to support the tire is the best bet. and if you want to make it easy to remove with just a set of disconnects you can get some splitters used for splicing power and ground wires in to two and mount them to the floor and just have a small piece of power and ground to go to the amp.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahahaha... Heeeeey...btw, we may need your welding skills in the near future. LOL

Actually, I told Cory I may hold off on this project cuz I'm getting close to having enough cash to start putting together my lift setup.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hahahaha... Heeeeey...btw, we may need your welding skills in the near future. LOL

Actually, I told Cory I may hold off on this project cuz I'm getting close to having enough cash to start putting together my lift setup.
Right on. I'm more than happy to help out in any way that I can.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just recently started drive my first YJ. I had removed the stereo and aftermarket speakers while I worked on it. I've been trying to figure out a good secure mount for speakers. Never thought about rear seat brackets? I don't plan to put seat back on anytime soon. So that would be perfect.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm copying this from another thread I just posted it in...

Decided to scrap the original project but of course, I do a lot of stuff on impulse as well.

-----

I got bored tonight after work...

I take care of an industrial park and one of our businesses recently switched buildings, leaving a bunch of 1/2" MDF behind, some of it in pretty good shape. I know a lot of people prefer 3/4" MDF, but since I'm not looking for a super high quality build, I'll take what I can get. lol

I started building this box...nothing too fancy at all, especially since I can't seem to cut anything square even with a nice large table saw amongst many other tools. I kinda used it as an excuse to test the little nail gun I bought the other day (for trim work on a wall I'm rebuilding).

The box is upside down...it'll actually be a downfiring 10" sub in a sealed enclosure. The compartment next to it will house my amp. I'm going to mount it upside down and then put half panels over the openings to protect it from the elements. Since my Jeep does get rained on, I'm going to sand the box down as smooth as I can get it and use the leftover roll-on bedliner I have from when I bedlined our dump truck. That should seal any leaks in the sub enclosure and protect the wood from the elements.

Once I get the rest of it figured out, I'll work on ideas for mounting it so it's less likely to be stolen...

Approximate dimensions are:

32" long, 13" wide, 7-8" tall...can't remember what it ended up coming out to as I am NOT an engineer and kept miscalculating everything.

Anyway...just figured I'd show off what I've got so far. We'll see if it ever makes it into my Jeep or if it turns out looking so crappy I throw it away due to embarrassment...lol

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
thats no bad, i would have it at least 2.5"-3" of gap from the floor. and if thats your first box build it looks like you did a good job. i've seen many boxes that were just built like a 5 year old with a wooden hammer made.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought about going higher, but I was shooting for as short as possible without my sub hitting the floor...depending on how it sits in the tub, that may raise it up another 1/2-3/4 inch as well. Got the first coat of bedliner on it last night aside from the bottom since I couldn't flip it over obviously...I'm really proud of how it's turned out so far.

Got really worried for a bit when i tried to trim it up where it wasn't square and I cut it crooked where the amp mounts...thought I was gonna be scrapping it. Ended up notching it out and so it's now pretty square but it's about 1" shorter than the other side of the box (looks like it was "designed" that way and that's what I'm gonna tell everyone...lol). I also smoothed down all the sharp corners and rounded them off with a palm sander.

The one thing I didn't do that is my number 1 priority today...make sure the sub fits inside the cutout. I know the depth is fine but I never double-checked my final cutout diameter...whooops. Still trying to figure out how to wire up the terminals. Not sure if I got a hole saw big enough to cut out for the terminal cup. I'm debating just wiring the sub up and then running the wires out a tiny hole which I'll then seal with liquid nails since the amp will be mounted just a few inches from the sub. Still gotta pick up the amp. Going for the Elemental Designs NINe.2 since I've used them numerous times in the past and I like to stick with one manufacturer when it comes to a sound system install. Using an Elemental Designs 11Kv.2 for the sub.

All that's really left to do with this thing though is make sure everything will fit, finish coating it, figure out how to mount the amp so it can't just be unscrewed real fast (I'm not putting sides on the amp opening I don't think due to some squaring issues I ran into that may be "revealed" with sides...lol)--I'm thinking some contersunk torx screws might make things interesting, figure out how to mount the actual box, and wire it all up. Still need a wiring kit...but plan on picking up one from KnuKonceptz soon.

Overall dimensions right now...I measured it before I started working on it last night.

32" long
13" wide (sub chamber--amp cabinet is 11.5" wide)
9.5" tall

Edit: Pics of progress will follow...don't have any new pics from last night's work.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay...might be SOL on the NINe.2 amp. My buddy's not really wanting to sell his now that he's not broke...I can prolly make a deal with him but I figured I'll shop around first.

Help me find an amp...looking for reliable, good quality...small physical size preferably...under $150.

Elemental Designs 11Kv.2
300/600 watt RMS (I'm assuming 300 is RMS, 600 is peak, correct?)
Dual 2 ohm voice coils

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good news..sub fits the cutout opening perfectly. Bad news...I'm a liar. Box now sits 3" off the floor. I didn't take into consideration how far the sub will stick out and you were right jma, I needed more space under it. Soooo added another 2x4 on each side. Lol

Will try to get updated pics tonight

·
Registered
3,042 Posts

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't a find a decent 2 channel amp and bridge it for cheaper than that? I can buy a new nine.2 for only 25 bucks more...lol

Made more progress on the box...got a few pics I just gotta wait til I get home to post em

1 - 20 of 32 Posts