Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

secure your stuff?

7K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  A Jeep Named Jack 
#1 ·
Ok, my problem is that i love running my jeep without the top and doors... but i don't take it anywhere at night cuz I'm scared people might take my stuff from it... i plain on relocating my cb to the glove box and keep my winch cord there also... but how can i secure other items such as tow ropes, tools, and other recovery gear?

#4 ·
I keep coming back to a few different thoughts:
1) build a small box and use the locking rear gate to secure
2) buy a large locking metal tool box and secure to floor using the connectors behind rear seat that I think are for children's safety seat. Toss a bolt through there, through a hold in tool box and a washer and wingnut later then a padlock and secured.

#23 ·
I keep coming back to a few different thoughts:
1) build a small box and use the locking rear gate to secure
2) buy a large locking metal tool box and secure to floor using the connectors behind rear seat that I think are for children's safety seat. Toss a bolt through there, through a hold in tool box and a washer and wingnut later then a padlock and secured.

All of those ideas sound as if they would work great. As for me, I just get my unemployed brother in law to ride with me, I tell him to watch my Jeep, give him a 12 pack of beer and a handgun. I am happy to report nothing has been stolen since I installed this security system !!!

#6 ·
I was thinking of getting a lockable metal storage box as well for the tub, the only concern I have is it can't be too tall as my dog rides back there a lot. Have to put some sort of no slip deck on top of it I guess. Also want to add some stickers to it with a Smith & Wesson logo that reads, Nothing in MY JEEP is worth YOUR LIFE !

#7 ·
I'm building a trunk enclosure similar to the Bestop Instatrunk. I'm making mine taller due to my sub and box in the trunk that is too tall for the Bestop. So far, this trunk project has cost me about $19 (wood, brackets/supports, and a can of spray on bedliner). I am about to buy one of those rear deck duster cover things though to deter thieves and keep water out when I'm topless.

#11 ·
If they want it, they will get it but I would like to know they had to work for it ! I don't carry what I don't need but if it takes them an extra 2 min. to rip me off, maybe they will get caught or worse, I would catch them. If you've ever been ripped off, you know what I mean. That's all

#12 ·
I built a trunk as well

As you can see on the last image, I added eye bolts to hold down the cooler. You can also see the locking shed latch I used on the left hand side to lock the trunk down. The photos were taken during the install and i completed installing the second latch on the right side. I covered it in spray on rubber coating. I added a cargo net later on. I had my dogs in it earlier tonight on a burger king run. the love it. It is strong and secure.

There are some changes I would make. I would cover all of the wood with fiberglass resin to make it water proof then cover the top with the rubber coating or a bedliner coating to make is non slip. I need to find a way to help keep out water. There was weather seal between the wood and the tub but that slithered out over time. The only weather strip that has held up is the piece that is under the piano hinge. Water also leaks in where the roll bar meets the tub. The main issue with water is the carpet as it sucks up any leakage with capillary action. When I have the chance I will take out all the carpet and bed line the tub.

#13 ·
Don't lock your glovebox or center console unless you want to have to replace them. They are very easy to break into and expensive to replace. If you don't mind dropping some coin buy a Tuffy replacement glovebox and center console insert.
Tuffy Security Products Security Glove Box Spice 049-04

and

Tuffy Security Products Security Console Insert Black 062-01

or you could get a full console:
Tuffy Security Products Series II Security Full Console Light Tan 040-05

Or if you would like to go a cheaper way get you a couple ammo cans from your local Army surplus store and a few ammo can locks. Bolt them to the floor in the back and there you have it...lockable storage on the cheap.

Attachments

#22 ·
Don't lock your glovebox or center console unless you want to have to replace them. They are very easy to break into and expensive to replace. If you don't mind dropping some coin buy a Tuffy replacement glovebox and center console insert. Tuffy Security Products Security Glove Box Spice 049-04 and Tuffy Security Products Security Console Insert Black 062-01 or you could get a full console: Tuffy Security Products Series II Security Full Console Light Tan 040-05 Or if you would like to go a cheaper way get you a couple ammo cans from your local Army surplus store and a few ammo can locks. Bolt them to the floor in the back and there you have it...lockable storage on the cheap.
damn that's quite expensive for those locking ones, any places cheaper? I have my ammo lock box from work but I just use it to keep my recovery strap and shackles in

#16 ·
I like my Instatrunk, but it's a smaller one that just fits behind the passenger seat of my TJ. If I didn't need the back seat, the larger ones would be nice. Other than that, I just try not to keep much in it. Even with the doors and all on it, I leave it unlocked. If they want to steal it, I'd rather them do that than cut through my soft top. ;)

#17 ·
ive always been a bit worried about people stealing stuff out of my tj, even more so after a few days ago sice I installed a 10" kicker sub with amp, so today I went out and bought 2 Rubbermaid action packers, a dog tieout cable 25ft in length and a padlock latch for a shed.

I screwed the padlock eye onto the sub box and then lock the action packer shut and run the cable through the action packers lock, then I go around my harness bar (rollbar would work to). also to prevent theft I remove my radio faceplate (I rarely remove it from the jeep), sometimes I hide it in the glovebox or throw it in the center console, I also have a lock box under my seat for my pistol that I sometimes throw the faceplate in when im in a bad area(pistol on my hip so the lock box is free) my headunit is a sony from a couple years ago so im not to worried about it being stolen, im just worried about them messing up the harness or dash bezel when they do try to steal it lol.

here is what I used to help tighten my jeeps security

I have one of these screwed into my sub box which secure my box, sub and amp

then I have one of these cables that I run through my amp lock, my harness bar, and my action packers, I also have plenty left over to lock down other items

#18 ·
My dad had a wooden box with lid (from back in the days where he worked in the mines). I ended up modifying it abit: added a latch and lock, bedlined/rock guard the entire outside to make it waterproof. bolted it down to where the rear setbelt area behind the passenger side. Beats using a milk crate and give me lots of peace of mind since :)

#19 ·
Here is my custom storage box. It is made from HDPE plastic. I make weapons vaults for law enforcement and government agencies, so I figure why not something for my Jeep, haha. I put bungee holes on top for extra tiedown space, and it is secured by locking the tailgate. The material is 100% UV stable and pretty much "everythingproof" (water, acid, hydraulic fluid, oil, etc). It will even take hits from one of the biggest SWAT team members I know with a full sized sledge, without giving way, and yes, I got that on video, haha! Everything is thermowelded, so there is no wood or metal to break down or rust.

Maybe one day soon, I will start offering them for sale to the Jeep community, just the government contract work has kept me quite busy lately.

#20 ·
Here is my custom storage box. It is made from HDPE plastic. I make weapons vaults for law enforcement and government agencies, so I figure why not something for my Jeep, haha. I put bungee holes on top for extra tiedown space, and it is secured by locking the tailgate. The material is 100% UV stable and pretty much "everythingproof" (water, acid, hydraulic fluid, oil, etc). It will even take hits from one of the biggest SWAT team members I know with a full sized sledge, without giving way, and yes, I got that on video, haha! Everything is thermowelded, so there is no wood or metal to break down or rust. Maybe one day soon, I will start offering them for sale to the Jeep community, just the government contract work has kept me quite busy lately.
that's pretty awesome, may have to built something similar

#24 ·
They can have the stereo, speakers, or what ever is laying around. I take all valuable items inside the jeep I dont want stolen. I'm more worried about my jeep being stolen for parts doors, fenders, bumpers, wench, ect. I always have young kids eye balling my jeep. I have experiences where others jeepers have wrecked their rig and now they are looking to steal parts from other jeep. So sad we can't trust other jeep owner. Lots of stolen parts end up in Craig's list also. Even with best full coverage auto insurances your rates will go up. So beaware.

#25 ·
The real question you have to ask yourself is how often do you use these items such as tow straps, recovery gear, and tools? Some tools are ok but I'm not changing a water pump on the side of the road. I only use those type of items when I go wheeling. Put that stuff in one or two really good small duffle bags. For everyday daily driving I leave it in the house. I'm not worried about the stock stereo equipment. As far as a CB I used a Cobra 75 WXST. Just remove it and again take it in the house. For the CB antenna I have a quick disconnect to also make it easy to remove and take inside. For those of you running aftermarket stereo equipment. If they want it they will get it one way or another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.