Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting one of the storage boxes that goes under the seat to hold my main key ring and maybe my gun while i'm out on the lake.

The issue I have is that that gives me another key to carry around for the storage box. I don't really mind, but does anyone know of any kind of security box that uses a combo lock? I'm a big fan of combos and I don't have to worry about ever losing a key.

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Tuffy makes the best security products for your Jeep, IMO. That said, it's too bad you can't use the underseat concealed carry box on your 2-door (cuz of the fold & tumble seats...or whatever they're called.)

Here are a couple other Tuffy products to consider. I THOUGHT you could get combo locks on some of the Tuffy stuff, but couldn't find anything specific about it on their site. Still, could just carry a single, small key in your wallet.

JK Security Console Insert for 2011 Jeep Wrangler, JK

JK Locking Cubby Cover for Jeep Wrangler, JK

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tuffy makes the best security products for your Jeep, IMO. That said, it's too bad you can't use the underseat concealed carry box on your 2-door (cuz of the fold & tumble seats...or whatever they're called.)

Here are a couple other Tuffy products to consider. I THOUGHT you could get combo locks on some of the Tuffy stuff, but couldn't find anything specific about it on their site. Still, could just carry a single, small key in your wallet.

JK Security Console Insert for 2011 Jeep Wrangler, JK

JK Locking Cubby Cover for Jeep Wrangler, JK
Yeah, I read that about the fold and tumble but wasn't sure if that applied to me. My seats to slide forward when you fold the back forward, but they certainly don't tumble like older models do.

I know I can carry a key, and that's likely what i'll do. However, I like the combo idea because then I don't have to worry about losing a key. When I take my jet ski out, I like to plan as if it'll sink and my keys will end up on the bottom of the lake. I hope this never happens, but if does happen, I need a plan B to make sure I can get home. :)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Yeah, I read that about the fold and tumble but wasn't sure if that applied to me. My seats to slide forward when you fold the back forward, but they certainly don't tumble like older models do.

I know I can carry a key, and that's likely what i'll do. However, I like the combo idea because then I don't have to worry about losing a key. When I take my jet ski out, I like to plan as if it'll sink and my keys will end up on the bottom of the lake. I hope this never happens, but if does happen, I need a plan B to make sure I can get home. :)
I'm pretty sure there was something lockable out there for the '12 Jeeps that you could get a combo lock as an option, but I've been looking since my last post and can't seem to dig it up.

I thought it was the underseat box, but I've checked both Tuffy and Bestop and don't see any mention of available combo lock.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure there was something lockable out there for the '12 Jeeps that you could get a combo lock as an option, but I've been looking since my last post and can't seem to dig it up.

I thought it was the underseat box, but I've checked both Tuffy and Bestop and don't see any mention of available combo lock.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Looks like we were surfing the same sites. thansk for the help bud.

You'd think there'd be more keyless options out there.....I know a trick that I could use to hide an extra key to the box somewhere on the vehicle where it's safe and no one would find it....but I'm not mentioning it here. :) That's prob what i'll end up doing.

As you can tell, I'm put the lift and bumper quest on hold while I get prepared for the lake. I know that's many months away but I want to be prepared.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Looks like we were surfing the same sites. thansk for the help bud.

You'd think there'd be more keyless options out there.....I know a trick that I could use to hide an extra key to the box somewhere on the vehicle where it's safe and no one would find it....but I'm not mentioning it here. :) That's prob what i'll end up doing.

As you can tell, I'm put the lift and bumper quest on hold while I get prepared for the lake. I know that's many months away but I want to be prepared.
Knew I'd seen the option somewhere. Don't know if this will fit any of the products I sent you links to, but I'll bet they do:

Tuffy Security Products - Replacement Locks & Keys

If I were you I'd call Tuffy directly...and also ask em if the underseat concealed carry will work in your Jeep. I've heard of some folks saying they'll work in '12 2-doors, iirc.

The lift and bumper will still be there when you get done with the lake for the summer. :D

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Knew I'd seen the option somewhere. Don't know if this will fit any of the products I sent you links to, but I'll bet they do:

Tuffy Security Products - Replacement Locks & Keys

If I were you I'd call Tuffy directly...and also ask em if the underseat concealed carry will work in your Jeep. I've heard of some folks saying they'll work in '12 2-doors, iirc.

The lift and bumper will still be there when you get done with the lake for the summer. :D
Ooooh! So I may be able to get an under seat box and then just replace the key lock w/ a combo box? I'll give 'em a call tomorrow cause that would be sweet.

As for the lift and bumpers, I'll jump right on that once I get ready for summer. One a related note, my stubby kit and rallylights arrived today so you know I have to install all of this weekend. :dance:

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to call Tuffy tomorrow. Looks like the combo replacement kit works w/ the underseat security box, but the requirements for the box states: "Will not fit 2 Door Models with Easy Access Drivers Seat Option."

More reading tells me that my Jeep could potentially have 1 of 2 options:
1) Easy Access Driver Tip & Slide seat
2) Easy Access Driver Seat

This site supposedly shows an example:
Does your Jeep Have a Flip Seat

My seat does "tumble" forward but it doesn't really "rock" forward like the one in the video. A better description is that it raises slightly and pivots forward. My point being that the front of the seat (where my knees are) doesn't pivot down like in the video. I've also requested my build sheet from Jeep for more info as to what I actually have.

I'll know more when I call Tuffy tomorrow, but doing as much research as I can right now as I'm bored. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the tufty under-seat storage deally with the combo lock. It was a PITA to install, and you basically need a flashlight to unlock it, even in broad daylight given the numbers are so small, but it holds plenty of stuff and is very well built. Granted, I have a TJ without the easy-access seat, but I'd guess the JK stuff is about the same.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, you guys are gonna LOVE this. (at least I do)

Backstory: I called up Tuffy to inquire as to whether the underseat security drawer would work in my Jeep, as I was getting mixed info between the Tuffy and Quadratec sites. I spoke w/ a real nice guy in tech support named Reagan. He basically told me to look under my seat and if I don't seat a crossbar running under there, the drawer will work just fine.

I then asked if the 3-tumbler combo replacement kit that they have would work w/ this box and he said yes it would. I then mentioned the new security box they have that uses a 10-push button combo lock and said that I liked it, but I didn't like that it required drilling holes in the jeep to mount it. I said that it would be awesome if that button-style combo lock was added to their underseat security drawer.

Here's the cool part: He said that it's not documented on their site, but that you CAN add the push-button combo lock to the security drawer. He said they provide a template and that you basically have to do some drilling to the front of the drawer in order to mount the lock. He did state that this does void the warranty, but IMO I think it's freakin' awesome. :dance:

He said feel free to call him up if you have any questions:
Reagan - Tuffy Tech support
970-564-1762 ext. 106

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Oh, you guys are gonna LOVE this. (at least I do)

Backstory: I called up Tuffy to inquire as to whether the underseat security drawer would work in my Jeep, as I was getting mixed info between the Tuffy and Quadratec sites. I spoke w/ a real nice guy in tech support named Reagan. He basically told me to look under my seat and if I don't seat a crossbar running under there, the drawer will work just fine.

I then asked if the 3-tumbler combo replacement kit that they have would work w/ this box and he said yes it would. I then mentioned the new security box they have that uses a 10-push button combo lock and said that I liked it, but I didn't like that it required drilling holes in the jeep to mount it. I said that it would be awesome if that button-style combo lock was added to their underseat security drawer.

Here's the cool part: He said that it's not documented on their site, but that you CAN add the push-button combo lock to the security drawer. He said they provide a template and that you basically have to do some drilling to the front of the drawer in order to mount the lock. He did state that this does void the warranty, but IMO I think it's freakin' awesome. :dance:

He said feel free to call him up if you have any questions:
Reagan - Tuffy Tech support
970-564-1762 ext. 106
Awesome! A little effort goes a long way...:punk:

Make sure you have a breaker bar handy to use with your ratchet when you go to remove the seat bolts. Supposed to be 45 ft-lbs, but I'd be shocked if mine were less than 100.

The rest of the install is cake. Enjoy! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! A little effort goes a long way...:punk:

Make sure you have a breaker bar handy to use with your ratchet when you go to remove the seat bolts. Supposed to be 45 ft-lbs, but I'd be shocked if mine were less than 100.

The rest of the install is cake. Enjoy! :thumb:
I'm still not out of the woods. Their site says will not work if you have the Easy Access Drivers Seat. My build sheet doesn't say I have it so should be good, right? Well Tuffy said just look under the seat make sure there is no crossbar. I think I have the dreaded crossbar. :eek:

I sent a pic to Reagan at Tuffy (at his request) so that he can just tell me yay or nay and what my options are. if I can't install this box I'm gonna be hella pi$$ed.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm still not out of the woods. Their site says will not work if you have the Easy Access Drivers Seat. My build sheet doesn't say I have it so should be good, right? Well Tuffy said just look under the seat make sure there is no crossbar. I think I have the dreaded crossbar. :eek:

I sent a pic to Reagan at Tuffy (at his request) so that he can just tell me yay or nay and what my options are. if I can't install this box I'm gonna be hella pi$$ed.
Man, that would suck. Hope it'll fit.

BUT...if it doesn't, maybe you can use the combo locks on the rear compartment lid (one of the links I sent you originally)? Still be able to hold a fair amount of stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just heard from Tuffy. Box won't fit under my seat. :(

There are a few other options but none of them are "hidden". This is major suckage.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Yeah, I saw that but the whole plan is to be able to put my keys in the box and be able to open it without a key. If I went w/ the product you listed, how would I unlock the trunk to get to the cubby? :)
Wouldn't you have had to unlock the door to get to the underseat lock box?

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At the lake I'll have the top down and the fabric doors on. Looking for a secure/hidden location to store my keys, etc.

As for the back, I think I'm gonna get the Tuffy rear security box so I'll have the back seat out and the rear locked.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
At the lake I'll have the top down and the fabric doors on. Looking for a secure/hidden location to store my keys, etc.

As for the back, I think I'm gonna get the Tuffy rear security box so I'll have the back seat out and the rear locked.
You mean the whole security deck enclosure? I love mine...very sturdy, tight fit. No rattles. Hard to believe when you're putting it together (the directions say to assemble the frame but leave it loose). I was thinking, crap this is gonna be an epic fail. But once I tightened everything down and put the top on...:punk:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts