Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can only find the $150 dealer version for JK...which is programed mechanically to your master key when installed.

Abody have any tips/links/good deals around?

2 different local dealers want $149 plus install on these.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got the Rugged Ridge "T style" hood lock (part number: 11252.05) off ebay for $15.00

I have not installed it yet, so i can't give you any feedback.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tubaru: I'm mystified on how it works. Please describe when you do install. I'd like to not spend $150 on a Jeep part if possible, yet am compulsed to get it locked up somehow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I will keep you posted. It won't be this weekend because we are going out to play in the sand!!!

·
Banned
764 Posts
I thought jeeps have a latch on each side and a safety latch. Why in the world would u need to lock. Total waste of time and money

·
Registered
840 Posts
I thought jeeps have a latch on each side and a safety latch. Why in the world would u need to lock. Total waste of time and money
People have been known to steal batteries or just vandalize vehicles just for the fun of it.....locking the hood down can makes it a bit harder for people to do so.

I have the Mopar hood lock that I have yet to install, got it from the deal for about 120ish or 130ish....they gave me a discount.

·
Registered
154 Posts

$15 is a waste of money to keep my battery safe and/or vandals out??? Not in my opinion, but to each there own!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Trying getting stuck at the boat ramp, in the rain, in december, unable to get your boat out because someone stole your battery (me) :( or how about getting your ac unit stolen one night? (friend) people suck, locks are awesome.

That said ;) there are waaaaaay cheaper options to the $150 you're looking at, do a search for locks, or hood locks, there was a post not too long ago about them.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...another consideration......with the battery gone, so is the much touted alarm system....and when the power of off the alarm system, more serious breaches in any interior security arises....don't you think so?

Not that any simple vehicle is immune from other varieties mindless vandalism, I want to make it more difficult to a) steal it; b) move it; c) get the stuff inside. That's one of the reasons for the hard top choice as well for me. I've seen too many soft tops have someone stick their hand thru a small cut to retrieve any shiny object the thief wanted.

I recognize part of this is OCD....more accurately labeled as "CDO" ....yet that is what makes much of the daily activities of most of us.

·
Kansas Coyote
575 Posts
...another consideration......with the battery gone, so is the much touted alarm system....
I don't understand why they haven't come up with a reserve power pack that would engage the alarm system, if enabled, when the battery terminals are disconnected.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
re: "I don't understand why they haven't come up with a reserve power pack"

Hood lock likely cheaper and you have to buy THOSE too.

.....but from what I've seen, there is probably a market for some enterprising individual with a bit of technical skill and a long return-on-investment time frame....

·
Kansas Coyote
575 Posts
.....but from what I've seen, there is probably a market for some enterprising individual with a bit of technical skill and a long return-on-investment time frame....
A little on the first and not enough on the second part! I'm out. :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HAR!!! guess we're stuck with locks or nothing then....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Where can you buy these hood locks? I have checked Quadratec and didn't see anything, I could just be blind tho.

·
Banned
764 Posts
$15 is a waste of money to keep my battery safe and/or vandals out??? Not in my opinion, but to each there own!
In Kansas we just hang Em or shot Em if they steel anything. Hell we all leave our trucks run if it's cold and don't even lock the doors. Never lock our tool boxes and such, and leave loaded guns in the cabs. No crime nobama state!!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
re: "I don't understand why they haven't come up with a reserve power pack"

Hood lock likely cheaper and you have to buy THOSE too.

Viper - Backup Battery System

Get a Viper with a TILT switch under the hood and the above battery back-up AND the lock.

If at home: While the lil bastards are 'working the problem', the mo-mo sensor on my garage perimeter will be going bats#i+ :firedevil:

·
Registered
551 Posts
In Kansas we just hang Em or shot Em if they steel anything. Hell we all leave our trucks run if it's cold and don't even lock the doors. Never lock our tool boxes and such, and leave loaded guns in the cabs. No crime nobama state!!!
You go ahead and do that, let me know how that works out for you.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to think the same about Portland Oregon until my house was robbed of everything not nailed down.

re: "Viper - Backup Battery System

Get a Viper with a TILT switch under the hood and the above battery back-up AND the lock."

thanks for the link

1 - 20 of 25 Posts