Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I’ve got an automatic 2013 2 door sport and I’m looking to start my build.. it’s my daily driver and sees some moderate wheeling about 2-3 times a month (sand dunes, mountain sides and desert trails) . It will be a somewhat budget friendly build but at the same time I don’t want to cheap out and hate what I buy, and no spacer lift. My budget right now is about $1000 max for suspension but if I could stay under that'd be great. I currently have 285/70r17 bfg at and plan on moving up to 35’s and bumpers. A 2.5 – 3.5" suspension is the goal and from my researching I’m under the impression that a kit should include at minimum (coils, bump stops, longer shocks, extended brake lines/relocation brackets, swaybar end links, adj. front track bar and axle side rear track bar bracket) and optimally should have adjustable arms (front lowers and rear uppers).

My choices are:
DV8 3.5" Rock Runner
Rock Krawler 2.5" Stock Mod
Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex
Rancho 3" Trail
Rancho 3" Sport
Rough Country 3.5"
Teraflex 2.5"

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use our vendors to purchase so you get free shipping/no tax/ and discount.

Many WF approved kits can be had for under 1k.
I've been browsing the forum for the past couple months and there seems to be many great vendors that are constantly involved in threads so I was going to order thru them once I finally decide :thumb:

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Also, based on your offroad preference and choices... I would suggest the RK 2.5 stock mod w/ shocks of your choice, add geometry brackets, and grade 8 hardware.

You can also add RE to the mix. Betts springs just like metalcloak/teraflex, and they come with rebadged/retuned bilstein 5100's (monotubes)...very affordable kit.

if you encounter deep ruts, or play in rocks, go with a control arm of your choice. For 2 doors, all you need is a rear upper, and address the front caster.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually looking at the re 3.5 standard and sport kit but read that they were overpriced for what it was.

Do you have any knowledge about the dv8 kit?

So it would be recommended to get rear upper and front lower adjustable arms?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's a 3.5" and comes with adjustable front and rear trackbars, brakelines, monotube shocks with internal bumpstop, extended swaybar links and the coils are dual rate and wound to give a true 3.5 based on your current setup for $900

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Well it's a 3.5" and comes with adjustable front and rear trackbars, brakelines, monotube shocks with internal bumpstop, extended swaybar links and the coils are dual rate and wound to give a true 3.5 based on your current setup for $900
that sounds good but its very incomplete for a 2dr. 3.5" will need a rear upper for pinion, perhaps a rear driveshaft (help me out 2dr members), FLCA, probably other stuff that i'm forgetting.

For that price, you could look into the entry level metalcloak lifts or doing a hybrid setup.

And if you haven't read this already, its best advised to do so for your own benefit.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
that sounds good but its very incomplete for a 2dr. 3.5" will need a rear upper for pinion, perhaps a rear driveshaft (help me out 2dr members), FLCA, probably other stuff that i'm forgetting. For that price, you could look into the entry level metalcloak lifts or doing a hybrid setup. And if you haven't read this already, its best advised to do so for your own benefit. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html
I've got a 3.5 MC on my 2 door, all 8 control arms and stock shafts. As long as the rear axle is pushed back a little the drive shaft should be ok I believe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that sounds good but its very incomplete for a 2dr. 3.5" will need a rear upper for pinion, perhaps a rear driveshaft (help me out 2dr members), FLCA, probably other stuff that i'm forgetting.

For that price, you could look into the entry level metalcloak lifts or doing a hybrid setup.

And if you haven't read this already, its best advised to do so for your own benefit.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html
I've read that time and time again and I just confuse myself even more each time haha it's just mind boggling coming from front independent suspension to a solid axle. I wish I could get a first hand experience with some of the lifts but everyone here runs basic rough country and pro comp kits

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I've read that time and time again and I just confuse myself even more each time haha it's just mind boggling coming from front independent suspension to a solid axle. I wish I could get a first hand experience with some of the lifts but everyone here runs basic rough country and pro comp kits
I too came from lifting IFS. I had a 2007 Tundra w/ a 6" procomp lift. Once I purchased my first JK, I was so blown away with the lift kit prices compared to the IFS. Much more affordable.

There's a forum member with RC @Bencalexander. He can advise you on a complete WF RC setup. There are several kits but only 1 that is better than the others.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I too came from lifting IFS. I had a 2007 Tundra w/ a 6" procomp lift. Once I purchased my first JK, I was so blown away with the lift kit prices compared to the IFS. Much more affordable.

There's a forum member with RC @Bencalexander. He can advise you on a complete WF RC setup. There are several kits but only 1 that is better than the others.
I actually came across his build yesterday when I was looking for reviews, the 3.5" seems like a decent kit for the price including an adjustable front track bar. It seems like the consensus is you either love it or hate it and most of the ones that hate it seem to be the hardcore offroaders

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I actually came across his build yesterday when I was looking for reviews, the 3.5" seems like a decent kit for the price including an adjustable front track bar. It seems like the consensus is you either love it or hate it and most of the ones that hate it seem to be the hardcore offroaders
Many that hated it probably had incomplete setups. Its just my observation though. I can't speak for the real users that had issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Check out Tatton driveshafts.
I bought a 1310 front for $369.
Easy to install. Curtis answered the
Phone every time a called with a question.
Very nice guy. High quality drive shaft.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, based on your offroad preference and choices... I would suggest the RK 2.5 stock mod w/ shocks of your choice, add geometry brackets, and grade 8 hardware.

You can also add RE to the mix. Betts springs just like metalcloak/teraflex, and they come with rebadged/retuned bilstein 5100's (monotubes)...very affordable kit.

if you encounter deep ruts, or play in rocks, go with a control arm of your choice. For 2 doors, all you need is a rear upper, and address the front caster.
You suggested the Rubicon express would work for me as well, were you referring to the 2.5 or 3.5 kits?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the 2.5 rock krawler flex with Bilstein 5100s and Teraflex Bumpstops, I just need to stop getting sidetracked by the Rubicon express kits

·
Registered
489 Posts
Have you considered no lift and flat fenders? That is a much better setup for a 2 door with 35s IMO. A lot of people don't seem to understand what a lift does and doesn't do. A lift will NOT give you more flex or articulation. It will only give you more chassis clearance. Whether or not you want to mess with driveline angles just to gain a couple inches of chassis clearance on a 2 door is up to you.

35s, no life, bushwacker flats. Not my jeep:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts