Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just installed the H201G, android 8.0. 4G model from Seicane with all factory connections. Couple of issues:

1) In jeep i have one connection harness which is not as per any pics or videos i've seen. This is just 3 greenish wires. I'm guessing its the Uconnect harness/bluetooth + mic. Pic attached (harness.jpg) - Weirdly enough my phone still connects to Uconnect bluetooth.

2) My sub is not working and no bass coming out - does it need the PAC RP4-CH11 ? Im guessing this would improve the sound quality as well?

Appreciate your responses. Cheers.

N

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Neo,

I know this is an old post, but I too would like to know what that connector is. I'm in the same boat, amp is very low.

Did you work out what it was for?

Cole

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
for an android head unit to work with the Alpine, personally I've always had to use the PAC, but some other guys on here say they can just swap the fronts and rears in the wiring harness and it will work.

i dont know what that extra connector is for, I believe Uconnect, but I'm not positive

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, you are correct, I watched a few more videos and it is for the uconnect. I’ve disconnected that now as I don’t need it. Still my subwoofer is very poor. May end up re wiring it all. I used a harness from aerpro which doesn’t seem the best. I can’t use the USA ones as I’m in Australia...

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
104 Posts
PAC is the route to go. Ive tried so many different way to get the subwoofer to work... At one point it did work... but it was negligible at best. The PAC fixes it completely and the sub wil definitely be on. Only loss would be the ability to fade.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can anyone add some more details to this, I am facing the same issue and so far have not found any details that help. anyone wired in a PAC to make this work properly?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
can anyone add some more details to this, I am facing the same issue and so far have not found any details that help. anyone wired in a PAC to make this work properly?
Are you asking about using the Seicane with the factory Alpine subwoofer?

I onky got it to work using a PAC, however other folks on here say they got it to work without a PAC

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,007 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seicane H201L installed in a 2011 Jeep JKU with Alpine Premium Sound in January 2020

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/seicane-h201l-installed-in-a-2011-jeep-jku-with-alpine-premium-sound-in-january-2020-a-2391881.html

I used the canbus adapter that came with the unit, I DID NOT need to purchase a PAC Canbus adaptor.
The unit is working flawlessly including the problems other seem to be having like Bluetooth calling, Equalizer, Fader & Subwoofer not working and time not setting. The buttons on the back side of the the steering wheel also work as expected, but modifications were needed if you have the Alpine Amp like I do(this should be true for years 2011 to 2014)

See thread for details

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/seicane-h201l-installed-in-a-2011-jeep-jku-with-alpine-premium-sound-in-january-2020-a-2391881.html

I used the canbus adapter that came with the unit, I DID NOT need to purchase a PAC Canbus adaptor.
The unit is working flawlessly including the problems other seem to be having like Bluetooth calling, Equalizer, Fader & Subwoofer not working and time not setting. The buttons on the back side of the the steering wheel also work as expected, but modifications were needed if you have the Alpine Amp like I do(this should be true for years 2011 to 2014)

See thread for details

It is IMPOSSIBLE for your fader to be working. Even with the separate pac adapter from pac audio it clearly states ' fading not supported'. Are you sure you're not talking about the balance?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seicane H201L w/ Alpine amp Eq/Balance/Fader/Sub

Hi Bob

First I would like to thank you for all the info provided to the forum. I was on the fence about the H201 and you and others were a part of decision to order the unit.
The unit has preformed perfectly, fit and finish look OEM. It's great to be able to use MediaMonkey, Waze, J-Scan and so many other apps.

And the sound is incredible, the equalizer is working on all frequencies and even the sub-woofer level slider is working (located all the way to the right of the equalizer.) I could not be happier. This must be happening though the Seicane Canbus adapter.

I just went out and double checked, BOTH Fader & Balance (front to rear / left to right) are correctly working. It was a little sluggish a couple of times , but most time the response was immediate.

I was reading on the forum about how the alpine amp changes to compensate for the hardtop being on or off and read the following response from forum member "rednroll". This is some of the best info I have found on the Alpine system:

So let me get this out of the way to remove most of the doubt that what I'm going to outline are indeed facts. I work for Harman International who is the supplier of the OEM JK Infinity premium audio system, as well as the 730N JK Navi radio. I've worked there for over 16 years. I didn't work on the JK Infinity audio system or the 730N radio, I actually work on our Toyota JBL and Lexus Mark Levinson premium audio systems which use similar amplifier technologies as are in the Infinity amp used on the JK. However, I am good friends with the engineers that have worked on the JK Infinity system and 730N radio. So I have had direct access to the people who know exactly what is going on, as well I have a very in-depth understanding of all the functions inside of our OEM amplifiers and radios. I would actually go to them often and ask them to better understand some of the differences of how the JK/Chrysler amps are different in regards to vehicle interface than my Toyota/Lexus amps, since that's where most of the differences will reside as well as having different customer requirements and speaker configuration architects. I would go to them regularly with these types of clarification questions when I 1st got my JK which had the Infinity audio system because I was modding/upgrading my audio system and wanted to make sure I was getting the most benefits out of my modded audio system while working within the vehicle system design communication parameters.

So how does the audio system and vehicle communications really work?

The Infinity amp is connected to the vehicle CAN bus. So it is always receiving information such as VIN, speed, trans, and many other different vehicle configuration and status information over those CAN bus communications. These CAN bus communications allow the amp to provide additional functions that can't be leveraged by aftermarket amps which don't connect to the CAN bus.

Within the amplifier it has what we call "EQ Slots". It has multiple EQ slots, which allows us to create and load different EQs and sound settings which also contain many other parameters that can be adjusted besides EQ, such as individual channel gains, delay settings, etc. We use this functionality to create specific tunings within the amp which are specific to the vehicle the amp is installed in. So yes, you can take an Infinity Dodge Nitro amp and put it in a JK. However, the amp reads the VIN over the CAN bus and now knows that Nitro amp is now in a JK and will load the EQ setting parameters for the JK and not the Nitro amp settings.

With the JK amp there are 4 main basic EQs which have been loaded into the amp to meet the different possible JK vehicle configurations. There's actually more than 4 but for this explanation I'll focus on those 4.
1. JK Hard Top
2. JK Soft Top
3. JKU Hard Top
4. JKU Soft Top

Within all 4 of those vehicle options they all use the same Infinity amp. So what happens if someone purchases a JK/JKU with dual top options or if they either have a hard top or a soft top JK, then how does the amp know which EQ slot it should load? How does the amp know if it's in a 4 door or a 2 door JK?

The hard/soft top identification is where that rear hard top connector comes into play. Those wires from that connector, connect to the Body Control Module (BCM). When the connector is plugged into the hard top the BCM receives a voltage level signal that the connector is connected. In turn the BCM sends out a CAN bus message, which tells the amplifier that the hard top is on. This in turn causes the amp to load the EQ which is tuned for a JK which has a hard top. When it is disconnected, that voltage level signal to the BCM changes and the assumption is made that the soft top is on and it loads the Soft top specific EQ.

In determining if the amp is in a 4door or 2door, it receives the VIN information over the CAN bus and decodes the VIN to make that determination.

So what about soft top up or soft top down?

Unfortunately, the JK's soft top has no electrical connectors to it for the amp to be able to make that determination. This is something that we are able to do on Toyota/Lexus on their vehicles which have a convertible top and had a switch that would get activated which provided enough information that the top was either up or down and we would create Soft top UP and Soft top DOWN specific EQ sound setting adjustments that would get loaded, so the sound could be further optimized for each of those conditions.

So what is really happening with that rear hard top connector when they're playing around with that jumper wire?

When the plug is connected the amp is loading the Hard Top EQ settings. When the connector is disconnected, the amp is loading the Soft Top UP EQ settings. There aren't any Soft Top DOWN optimized EQ settings and the amp has no way of knowing if the soft top is up or down, so the Soft Top UP settings remain loaded which is not optimized for an open roof environment. It is NOT some "neighborhood friendly" setting that is being activated, although that is a pretty creative speculation and one that is pretty hilarious to myself. When they make those wire connections on that connector, what is really happening is that it is simulating that the hard top connector is connected, and then the amp is loading the Hard top EQ and thus the reason for the change in sound that is observed.

Now why don't ALL JK systems observe this change in sound when some have tried it and didn't observe a change?

It's simple, they don't have the Infinity Premium Audio system option. This is an Infinity premium audio feature of having the capability to adjust the audio settings based upon the different vehicle configurations. They likely have the base audio system where it doesn't have that function of loading different tuning settings within the radio based upon the different vehicle configurations. They could also have a newer Alpine premium audio system. I don't have any insight to what Alpine does, but based upon what I have read, it doesn't sound like the Alpine amp has different EQ configuration settings based upon if the Hard top or soft top is installed, since they recommend to adjust the head unit tone controls for when the soft top is installed vs when the hard top is installed. The Infinity amp did these types of adjustments automatically for you and much more.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Hi Bob

First I would like to thank you for all the info provided to the forum. I was on the fence about the H201 and you and others were a part of decision to order the unit.
The unit has preformed perfectly, fit and finish look OEM. It's great to be able to use MediaMonkey, Waze, J-Scan and so many other apps.

And the sound is incredible, the equalizer is working on all frequencies and even the sub-woofer level slider is working (located all the way to the right of the equalizer.) I could not be happier. This must be happening though the Seicane Canbus adapter.

I just went out and double checked, BOTH Fader & Balance (front to rear / left to right) are correctly working. It was a little sluggish a couple of times , but most time the response was immediate.

I was reading on the forum about how the alpine amp changes to compensate for the hardtop being on or off and read the following response from forum member "rednroll". This is some of the best info I have found on the Alpine system:

So let me get this out of the way to remove most of the doubt that what I'm going to outline are indeed facts. I work for Harman International who is the supplier of the OEM JK Infinity premium audio system, as well as the 730N JK Navi radio. I've worked there for over 16 years. I didn't work on the JK Infinity audio system or the 730N radio, I actually work on our Toyota JBL and Lexus Mark Levinson premium audio systems which use similar amplifier technologies as are in the Infinity amp used on the JK. However, I am good friends with the engineers that have worked on the JK Infinity system and 730N radio. So I have had direct access to the people who know exactly what is going on, as well I have a very in-depth understanding of all the functions inside of our OEM amplifiers and radios. I would actually go to them often and ask them to better understand some of the differences of how the JK/Chrysler amps are different in regards to vehicle interface than my Toyota/Lexus amps, since that's where most of the differences will reside as well as having different customer requirements and speaker configuration architects. I would go to them regularly with these types of clarification questions when I 1st got my JK which had the Infinity audio system because I was modding/upgrading my audio system and wanted to make sure I was getting the most benefits out of my modded audio system while working within the vehicle system design communication parameters.

So how does the audio system and vehicle communications really work?

The Infinity amp is connected to the vehicle CAN bus. So it is always receiving information such as VIN, speed, trans, and many other different vehicle configuration and status information over those CAN bus communications. These CAN bus communications allow the amp to provide additional functions that can't be leveraged by aftermarket amps which don't connect to the CAN bus.

Within the amplifier it has what we call "EQ Slots". It has multiple EQ slots, which allows us to create and load different EQs and sound settings which also contain many other parameters that can be adjusted besides EQ, such as individual channel gains, delay settings, etc. We use this functionality to create specific tunings within the amp which are specific to the vehicle the amp is installed in. So yes, you can take an Infinity Dodge Nitro amp and put it in a JK. However, the amp reads the VIN over the CAN bus and now knows that Nitro amp is now in a JK and will load the EQ setting parameters for the JK and not the Nitro amp settings.

With the JK amp there are 4 main basic EQs which have been loaded into the amp to meet the different possible JK vehicle configurations. There's actually more than 4 but for this explanation I'll focus on those 4.
1. JK Hard Top
2. JK Soft Top
3. JKU Hard Top
4. JKU Soft Top

Within all 4 of those vehicle options they all use the same Infinity amp. So what happens if someone purchases a JK/JKU with dual top options or if they either have a hard top or a soft top JK, then how does the amp know which EQ slot it should load? How does the amp know if it's in a 4 door or a 2 door JK?

The hard/soft top identification is where that rear hard top connector comes into play. Those wires from that connector, connect to the Body Control Module (BCM). When the connector is plugged into the hard top the BCM receives a voltage level signal that the connector is connected. In turn the BCM sends out a CAN bus message, which tells the amplifier that the hard top is on. This in turn causes the amp to load the EQ which is tuned for a JK which has a hard top. When it is disconnected, that voltage level signal to the BCM changes and the assumption is made that the soft top is on and it loads the Soft top specific EQ.

In determining if the amp is in a 4door or 2door, it receives the VIN information over the CAN bus and decodes the VIN to make that determination.

So what about soft top up or soft top down?

Unfortunately, the JK's soft top has no electrical connectors to it for the amp to be able to make that determination. This is something that we are able to do on Toyota/Lexus on their vehicles which have a convertible top and had a switch that would get activated which provided enough information that the top was either up or down and we would create Soft top UP and Soft top DOWN specific EQ sound setting adjustments that would get loaded, so the sound could be further optimized for each of those conditions.

So what is really happening with that rear hard top connector when they're playing around with that jumper wire?

When the plug is connected the amp is loading the Hard Top EQ settings. When the connector is disconnected, the amp is loading the Soft Top UP EQ settings. There aren't any Soft Top DOWN optimized EQ settings and the amp has no way of knowing if the soft top is up or down, so the Soft Top UP settings remain loaded which is not optimized for an open roof environment. It is NOT some "neighborhood friendly" setting that is being activated, although that is a pretty creative speculation and one that is pretty hilarious to myself. When they make those wire connections on that connector, what is really happening is that it is simulating that the hard top connector is connected, and then the amp is loading the Hard top EQ and thus the reason for the change in sound that is observed.

Now why don't ALL JK systems observe this change in sound when some have tried it and didn't observe a change?

It's simple, they don't have the Infinity Premium Audio system option. This is an Infinity premium audio feature of having the capability to adjust the audio settings based upon the different vehicle configurations. They likely have the base audio system where it doesn't have that function of loading different tuning settings within the radio based upon the different vehicle configurations. They could also have a newer Alpine premium audio system. I don't have any insight to what Alpine does, but based upon what I have read, it doesn't sound like the Alpine amp has different EQ configuration settings based upon if the Hard top or soft top is installed, since they recommend to adjust the head unit tone controls for when the soft top is installed vs when the hard top is installed. The Infinity amp did these types of adjustments automatically for you and much more.

Good write up Thank you.
I however was already aware of can bus's ability to alter eq with or without the top though. It wasn't really what I was talking about.

I believe the difference is in the infinity vs alpine system. Infinity seems to be a slightly less sophisticated system (which I don't know very well).

When you remove the hard top on an alpine system not only is the eq can-bus adjusted, but also front/rear fading as well. In other words the fade ability on an alpine system is located in the amp and not the head unit. Fade information is passed from the head unit to the amp through can bus so you need a can bus adapter sophisticated enough to handle this level of communication. The pac units can not do this. The only can bus adapter that I know of with this level of sophistication is the idatalink Maestro... which is not compatible with android head units. Sooooo.... as far as alpine units are concerned there is NO way to adjust (front/rear) fade if you have an android head unit (or any other head unit which is not compatible with the Maestro).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Bob

I realize you were not talking about how the canbus effects the Alpine amp with or without the hardtop, but the information by "rednroll" is a good example of how the system works. Your information quoted below was also helpful:

"Maestro doesn't work with the Android HU's so that leaves you with PAC which is quite a bit less sophisticated than Maestro.
The Alpine amp (gains and frequencies) is controlled by the Jeeps computer and to a lesser extent by the head unit. There is only a left and a right speaker output which leads from the head unit to the alpine amp. Unlike other more traditional systems where all the channels are generated by the head unit (and therefore easily controlled), it's the alpine amp in this circumstance which generates left front, right front, left rear, right rear, and sub. It's done this way so that the computer can automatically adjust and compensate the sound with the hard top top on or with it off.
Long story short, when you fade or adjust the balance on your factory head unit, you're actually telling the computer to make the adjustments to the amp. The pac units do not have the sophistication required to properly talk to the computer, mainly because they're not really designed for it."

So,
With all that being said, I can only tell you on my 2011 JKU with the factory Alpine Premium Sound-Group Code RC9 Alpine 9-Spkr w/All Weather Subwoofer
BOTH Fader & Balance (front to rear / left to right) are correctly working. Also the the equalizer is working on all frequencies and even the sub-woofer level slider is working (located all the way to the right of the equalizer.) I will tell you the sub was never that great (loud) from the factory, but the over all bass has improved immensely with the Seicane H201L and the sub is working although certainly not a booming sub(and never was).

I believe the following setting is what got everything working:
(My TYPE setting was originally set to "cherokee")

After the unit is hooked up you need to adjust the following setting in the head unit :
Go to Settings/Car/Factory settings(code is 126)/ Canbus
Your setting need to be the following:
Canbus 46 Jeep&Kress (simple)
Rudder Left Rudder
TYPE 5 18 Wrangler
Amp with Amp

So it is not "impossible" for the Fader to work with the Seicane H201L with the canbus adapter provided by Seicane and the Factory Alpine amp. I am not lying or making this up, just giving you my experiences with the system in my JKU.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts