Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my Jeep has been running rich (another long story) and now won't crank, I decided to check the plugs. Sure enough, the first one I pulled out was burnt. So I picked some up at the auto store and tried to get the other 3 out but none of them will budge. Could this be because it was running rich and welded them into the head? 'Cause that would really really really suck.

Any suggestions? I've been soaking them in PB Blaster but it doesn't seem to have any effect. :banghead:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Soaked the plugs overnight and sprayed'em again this morning before class. Hoping that when I get home this afternoon they will have loosened up a bit.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Running rich would not do that but leaving them in for a few years will.......

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't think running rich would bother the tightness of your plugs, kind of a sealed deal. Maybe your just stronger than you think. I would soak it as you did, then keep tapping on it with something heavy or use a torque wrench/cheater bar to remove it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
^^ i agree with the cheater bar! And the anti sieze on the new ones is a must have! There also was a previous thread i just read of another Jeep guy who had to replace his plugs,wires,cap and rotor button to get it to start.. Just a heads up man.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah get a breaker bar on em and tap it with a big hammer that helps knock stuff loose real good

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out, the previous owner had screwed them in really really tight!

Got the plugs and wires changed, cranked right up!

Checked the wires for continuity and one of them registered 0. All the plugs were black and the tips rounded off. Found out that the previous owner had the Jeep for over 10 years and never replaced the plugs, so after running rich and a good bit of mileage, it was definitely time to change'em!

Valve cover gasket is next...

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Welcome to the world of previously owned and not maintained vehicles..:banghead::banghead:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts