Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trading in my '13 2dr for a '16 unlimited. My 2dr is a dual top with the premium soft top. Hard top is w/the freedom panels. Both are in great shape and have all hardware. I'm planning on keeping one of the tops to sell.

As someone who's never really been in the top market, I've got a few questions.

1. Which top should I keep?
2. What is a reasonable amount to charge for each?
3. How difficult are they to sell (selling in Connecticut)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in the south hardtop is going for around 1200-1800. Soft tops are around 250-800. Now thanks Facebook market place sales used to new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I would think it would be easier and more profitable to trade in the soft top and sell the hard top. Especially this time of year in CT.

Reactions: Guinness9674

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I bought my hardtop last year from a guy in CT.
I drove an hour from my place to his, was planning on going without my Trektop NX but it was pouring rain.
Got to his place, took off soft top, and he and I installed the hardtop.
Wasn't there for an hour, and paid 1500 bucks.

Reactions: Guinness9674

·
Registered
68 Posts
While the hard top is worth more on the market, the trade in value should be higher with the hard top vs the soft top.

I'd trade it in with the hard top, and sell the soft top. Just spent a few weeks looking for a soft top and IMO easier to sell the soft top than the hard top, not to mention the soft top is much easier to handle and toss in the back of a potential buyer's car than the hard top.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I'm trading in my '13 2dr for a '16 unlimited. My 2dr is a dual top with the premium soft top.

Why not simply pass onto the next owner, both tops for them to enjoy?

While you might be thinking you are screwing over only the dealer, in reality, its really the next owner you're getting, when you keep any of the original factory parts.

Reactions: WillB

·
Registered
726 Posts

While you might be thinking you are screwing over only the dealer, in reality, its really the next owner you're getting, when you keep any of the original factory parts.
Exactly. It would be like trading it, then jacking it up and tsking the wheels and tires with you.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

Exactly. It would be like trading it, then jacking it up and tsking the wheels and tires with you.

These ideas are absurd. The next owner knows what they are getting when they buy it, and what they are getting is a Jeep with a top. Not an incomplete vehicle. It’s not like he’s trading in an antique numbers-matching car. The second owners not going to give two shts when they find out their Jeep originally came with two tops, unless they spent “two-top money” on it, and even then they have themselves to blame for that.

Hardtop has more value, keep it and trade in with your soft top.

·
Registered
460 Posts

These ideas are absurd. The next owner knows what they are getting when they buy it, and what they are getting is a Jeep with a top. Not an incomplete vehicle. It’s not like he’s trading in an antique numbers-matching car. The second owners not going to give two shts when they find out their Jeep originally came with two tops, unless they spent “two-top money” on it, and even then they have themselves to blame for that.

Hardtop has more value, keep it and trade in with your soft top.
Exactly , he's not selling half a jeep, he’s selling a jeep with a top, keep the hardtop and sell it on your own you'll get more money that way, equating to getting more total worth for the trade in then if you just trade it in with both tops, which if you do btw they probably wont offer much more for it, but what they will do is charge the buyer the price of a new top if he wants both, or keep one of them for the next jeep that needs one

·
Commercial Member
7,874 Posts
Most dealers will not pay more for extras...

When we trade in work trucks, I ask them about things like leaving inverter or roll top covers etc. They say, they don't care, same trade in price.
So I remove them, and either sell it give to friend/family etc.
When the time comes to trade in my wife's car, you can guarantee I'm keeping the winter wheels/tire and roof rack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dumb question, will they not give you more for trade with both tops?

seems like it'd be easier to just do that
It would be a lot easier, but it's one of those "we don't negotiate" dealerships. Price of their jeep is firm, and they aren't moving on the price for my trade...so...i got them to let me keep the hard top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts