Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Locally I found a 1987 YJ 4.2 for sale. Its been restored nicely and from what the owner says, runs awesome.

Included is a soft top, soft doors, and hard top and hard doors.

The main point is that it was converted to an Automatic transmission. The trans is from a 1990 Cherokee and has the Cherokee center console in the jeep (Floor shift conversion).

The owner says you have to manually shift from low all the way up to drive. He said aside from that, it drives perfectly.

What might that be?

They want $3,500 for it or trade for a small economical car.

I need to get something higher off the ground that is an automatic and have always wanted a wrangler. They may be interested in trading my 94 Saab 900 for it.

I plan on taking a look at it today some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
vjz said:
Hi all,

Locally I found a 1987 YJ 4.2 for sale. Its been restored nicely and from what the owner says, runs awesome.

Included is a soft top, soft doors, and hard top and hard doors.

The main point is that it was converted to an Automatic transmission. The trans is from a 1990 Cherokee and has the Cherokee center console in the jeep (Floor shift conversion).

The owner says you have to manually shift from low all the way up to drive. He said aside from that, it drives perfectly.

What might that be?

They want $3,500 for it or trade for a small economical car.

I need to get something higher off the ground that is an automatic and have always wanted a wrangler. They may be interested in trading my 94 Saab 900 for it.

I plan on taking a look at it today some time.
No clue on problem. Maybe a sensor? I looked at a cherokee that did that and he said it was a sensor or something.

But that's a nice looking jeep. Get it :)

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Seems like a lot for a jeep that does not shift right.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
x3. 87 and dosent shift ,walk away .its not that nice ,and not worth 3500 :eek:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
How many miles?

I didn't even look at the price tag. $3500....that's steep for something that isn't pristine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
AT's have a mechanism to control down shifting. It's usually controlled by vacuum but is sometimes a cable from the throttle linkage to the trans.
This mechanism was probably not connected during the conversion.
You would have to look up what trans it is and find what and where the mechanism is supposed to be and see if it's connected.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Man i've never seen so many chrome haters on a website before hah.

Personally I like the chrome, Looks good on the jeep (Maybe the spare tire is a little too much) lol.

And 3500 don't seem bad at all for florida prices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.

It is a bit much in the chrome department.

I went and looked yesterday, but didn't have a chance to drive it nor talk to the owner again because she was at work.

I spent 20 minutes going over the body and frame. The body looks like brand new and the frame looks like that of a vehicle that's five years old, with minor surface rust.

The soft top and doors are currently on it. The interior was done in black from the looks of it.

I had a friend who told me it may be a kick down lever for the transmission problem. Anything on that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went and looked at it again.

I couldn't drive it because the battery was so dead that jumping it took forever to get going. And when it finally got going, needed to warm up for a while, so I decided to come back another day. I had to be at the doctor, so I needed more time than the time I had today.

The clutch pedal is still in the Jeep (lolwut)

Interior is decent. Front seats have covers on them and the back is still gray. Front tires are bald. Backs are new. Simple stock size tires.

I definitely would want to convert the interior to tan though. I love tan interiors on Wranglers.

Soft top needs to be replaced for sure. But since they have a hard top for it, I would just ask him to put it on for me.

The girl that owns it called me back and said she was sorry I couldn't test drive it and hopes that that doesn't deter me from considering it.

I just told her that I would have to drive it first. I told her she wouldn't get what she wants price wise out of it though, and trading may be her best option...lol

I will miss my Saab a lot, but I can't drive a stick anymore as a daily driver.

I will tough out my mint condition 76 Celica GT though. but I only drive it a few months out of the year on perfect days.

I asked how many people have looked at it and he said including me, three.

I'm thinking they don't really drive it much so the battery has drained itself from sitting. The sticker on it said 2008, and it was a cheapy Duralast one. I told him to just replace it, but he said they can't afford it.

Whatever.

The husband said he would have the battery deep charged at AutoZone today and I could come look at it in a day or two.

I will keep you all posted.

·
Banned
11,188 Posts
man theres alot of chrome on that jeep. i feel your pain. when i got my jeep it had all the hinges, mirrors, lights chromed out. it was blinding going down the road trust me lol. im slowly removing it tho :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't mind the front bumper or back bumper chrome spots. On the back, the red needs to be painted back to blue, like where the gas can holders are.

The mirrors and wheels need to go.

I want a set of the gun metal TJ five spokes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't mind the front bumper or back bumper chrome spots. On the back, the red needs to be painted back to blue, like where the gas can holders are.

The mirrors and wheels need to go.

I want a set of the gun metal TJ five spokes.
Do you mean those two hoops attached to each side of the rear end? Lol those are no gas can holders. They're called bumperettes according to the window sticker to my Jeep. Unless I'm blind and those really are gas can holders..I'll feel dumb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts