Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of mirror relocation brackets. Is there a trick to separating the stock JK mirror from the bracket ? I unbolted it and pried on it some with no luck. TIA.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would put the bolt back in, but loosely...it's just to keep the mirror from falling/flying when it pops loose. I tapped mine out with a mallet from below.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that, then stopped to ask someone. I'll give it better smacking. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
For about $65 you can have a pair of manual mirrors to leave on your Die-Tech mounts, at least that's what I opted to do.

·
Registered
820 Posts
X2 on tapping with a mallet with the bolt loosely installed.

Once you get the mirrors of and you go to install them on your relocation brackets, be very careful how much you torque the bolts. If you notice on the factory brackets, there is a key that slides into a keyway on the mirror post. This holds the mirror post in place so that the break-away feature functions properly. The relocation brackets I bought did not have the key and the instructions advised to tighten the bolt until the break-away feature functioned properly. Before that happened, I stripped the threads out of the aluminum mirror post.

Due to this issue, I bought a set of aftermarket mirrors to install on my relocation brackets, so now I just remove my doors with the mirrors on them and bolt the relocation brackets with the aftermarket mirrors already attached onto the A-Pillar. I hate that I have to install and un-install the relocation brackets each time I take the doors off or put them back on, but it beats stripping out the mirror post and visibility in the passenger's side mirror on the relocation bracket sucks with the doors on anyway.

Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The passenger side came apart with no problems, the drivers side never did, I ended up cutting the plastic off of it and had to grind away the metal to get it off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I took the bolt out and placed the largest punch I could fit in there, then beat on it with a good size mallet. Give it a good coat of penetrating oil first and give it time to sit and soak in, it'll help a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts