Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a '67 CJ5, and while it runs well, I can't seem to get the thing above 30 mph without feeling like my engine will explode. I've got a rebuilt Buick V6 and a 3-speed w/ overdrive under the hood.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have been less prone to hyperbole in my OP. At about 30 mph, the engine sounds/feels like it's in the rpm range where it isn't quite redlining, but it would be a good time to upshift if that was possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's my guess, but the position of the shift levers suggests otherwise. I'll have to take it out early in the morning or late at night when there's no traffic and try different positions.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
2WD is high range. 4WD has the choice of High or Low. IF yer in 4WD... LOW or HIGH it will be obvious.... unless it is a Twin Stick. Still if it is a Twin Stick.... Only 2 positions, Front Axle engaged or not engaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help and suggestions, all. Billiebob's thumbnail should have been the obvious solution to my problem, but the lever for engaging the front axle was on the right side of the low/high lever rather than the left. It turns out my front axle has been engaged the whole time, and that caused my issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts