Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I just had a question that I need help with..
I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 33K on the ODO, is it normal for the rear differential fill plug to come out?

Seems I was oblivious to even think of checking this sort of thing. As I was driving down the road the rear end locked up, luckily I was able to pull to the side. Checked the rear and noticed the fill plug was gone and no fluid was in the case. I tried to find a replacement plug but was unable to, so I had to use a temporary fix. I filled the case up with gear oil and attempted to move the vehicle home. I had about 12 miles to travel and it sounded like someone was underneath the jeep banging pots together..
Has anyone ever experienced this? And, can someone advise what they think the noise is? I mean seriously never even thought to keep a check on this.
Please help, as I have not driven the Jeep since (about three weeks now).
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Seems like the plug was not installed correctly. And you probably need everything new inside the pumpkin. Gears and whatever locker you have. I believe the Sahara has a limited slip diff.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rear diff is toast. Refilling it ain't gonna bring it back. Who (if anyone) "serviced" it last? Possible it could have come from the factory loose. Either way, one could rebuild the rear end completely -and I mean COMPLETELY (new gears, bearings, spiders, axle bearings, seals, etc. and there is a possibility the housing may be shot as well if the bearings welded themselves in) OR find a take-off or wrecking yard axle (may be easier/faster).

·
Registered
532 Posts
That sucks but its odd after 33K it falls out. Regardless, recon somebody saved a dollar or two using a push in rubber plug instead of a threaded plug like everyone else uses. FixItAgainTony

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Fill plug should not have come out. It either was not put back or perhaps someone was out to get you. I would think it would take a lot of driving to totally drain the gear oil from the fill plug. Should have been leaving a lot of drips every time you parked.your rear axle/pumpkin should have been a mess

Reactions: ZtHawk

·
Retired Moderator
100,658 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Probably a absolute unlikelyhood but you may wanna check the axle vent line to make sure its not plugged off. Id think it would have blown out the axle seals first but who knows. Another thought is sabotage? They are typically pretty hard to get out and need a good prying of some sort. Any signs of somebody tampering with it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
My first thought was if you had the oil changed by a shop and the they removed it as part of their routine “how can we make more money off this customer” free 15-point “inspection” and forgot to put it back in.

That or you have a rather cruel, gear-head ex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
And is yours still under warranty? It could have been checked at the dealer when in for servicing — it’s a not unheard of dealer money maker to show you the rear diff oil at about that mileage and they say it’s dirty and needs to be replaced. (When in fact it’s normal and doesn’t. ) if that was the case I’d be combing the receipts for any notes about it being checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Do you have an EX of any type? Who touched it last? It's done. Find a Rubicon take off for $1K and have the front re-geared to match. Sell your axles and housing for scrap. You'll be re geared and have a rear locker.

Reactions: ZtHawk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys for all the help. It's much appreciated!
I was afraid that it was toast, and I also suspected "sabotage"..just seems unlikely that the plug (which was on the Jeep when I purchased it) would just fall out...
How will I be able to tell if the axels are ruined though?
Again, thank you for all of your help with this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts