Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this Jeep has a twenty gallon fuel tank that holds only 15 gallons? Leave it to Mopar to come up with crap like this, LOL.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone please step in and correct me if I'm wrong, all YJs came with a 20 gallon tank that was sold as an option. If you didn't buy the option, the vent tube was extended thus preventing adding any gas above 15 gallons. What kind of crap is that?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Someone please step in and correct me if I'm wrong, all YJs came with a 20 gallon tank that was sold as an option. If you didn't buy the option, the vent tube was extended thus preventing adding any gas above 15 gallons. What kind of crap is that?
Yes the 20 was an option, and 15 was standard, don't know about the vent tube being extended, but sounds like something an auto maker would come up with....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
the early yj's came with steel 15 gal tanks and there was a 20 gal. poly tank option then they switched to just poly tanks and used a longer vent tube so it would only hold 15 gal. good for us, its a simple mod to cut the tube and increase the tank to 20 gal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The point is missed by some. It's nice to have the extra gas for longer trips. I like to admire my Jeep too while DRIVING on the road. The point is they made a 20 gallon tank and took measures to hold back 5 gallons unless you paid more money.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The point is they made a 20 gallon tank and took measures to hold back 5 gallons unless you paid more money.
Panzer is right on the money with the above. Same part, with no additional cost to them and they still gave you a little 'screw you' for not agreeing to their little extortion scam. Gives 'douchebaggery' a new dimension

·
Registered
568 Posts
WOow I thought the 4cyl jeeps had the 15 and 6cyl had a 20. does you gas tank have 1 or 2 straps over it? how can you tell if it has a 15 or 20?

·
Registered
742 Posts
WOow I thought the 4cyl jeeps had the 15 and 6cyl had a 20. does you gas tank have 1 or 2 straps over it? how can you tell if it has a 15 or 20?
15 gallon 87 tank was made of metal. The 20 gallon option was made of plastic. The scam started after all the tanks were plastic.

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Do you have to drop the tank ? Or would it be better to drop it and replace the 20 something year old lines, possibly fuel pump as well? I hope it ant to big of a project but it's gotta be done. Hell you could have a "mechanic" do it for yea and your wallet will be pissed..... Along with the wife :rofl:

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Fun fact. When I bought my 93 YJ it had the original fuel filter, plug wires, cap and rotor, spark plugs. Man I think no one knew even how to change the damn oil x2. Can't complain with 119K miles.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You're correct. The 2.5 had the 15 gal. steel tank. The 4.2 had the 20 gal. poly tank. However, there were running changes prior to the poly tank and some 20 gal. tanks were steel on early YJ's. If you have a 2.5 the factory didn't install a 20 gal. tank. The 15-20 gal mod could'nt be done on a 15 gal. tank up to the 1990 YJ's. Some replaced their 20 gal tanks with a 15 gal steel replacement. It was cheaper and easier to get. 20 gal. poly and steel tanks are available but more expensive.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
the early YJ 20 gal. tanks were not steel, they are poly, I have one. to the other poster, you do not have to drop the tank to do the mod, the link posted explains it very well.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Getting back to the "early" 87-90 YJ Tanks. Over 90% of the 20 gal. 4.2 tanks were Poly. All of the 15 gal tanks were steel. However, there were "running" vendor changes during production at that time and there were instances where poly tanks were not available. So, 20 gal steel tanks from "other" vendors were utilized. Not many; but there were 20 gal. steel tanks used so production wasn't stopped waiting for poly tanks to be available. I don't know what year you have but the mod can only be done from 91 and above since earlier 15 gal tanks only held 15 gals.

·
Registered
163 Posts
OK, so I have the 15 gal steel tank on my 90. Has anyone tried (that anyone knows of) putting a TJ tank in a YJ? If so, what does it take for the conversion? My pump is acting up so I'm looking at options.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I put a 25 gallon tank on my 92 yj off a camaro...fuel pump connections were dead on.used straps from camaro too.being that they were longer and all.no increase in height and it works great! Ha ha! I got more gas capacity than yall! (Just kidding) lol...but it does work great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts