Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
never heard of anyone doing it, dunno how much it would cost.

my advice? E-lockers front and rear, and use 4wd when needed, 2wd when not. no need for full time 4wd or a center diff.

just my opinion, ur truck and ur money

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Possible but the 242 is longer so you'd have to install a shorter driveshaft in a vehicle that already has trouble with vibes on its OE short driveshaft. Plus it's not quite as strong as the OE 231. :)

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
My sister originally had a 242 in her ZJ... and after a fun weekend the chain started slipping badly resulting in the thing grenading... replaced with a spare 231 we had and it drives butch better now :D

242's get crappier milage as well as not being as strong.... stick with the 231

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Jeep is my DD, the awd aspect would come in handy up hear in New England, that's the reason for my question. My wife's escape has awd and it's reassuring in rainstorms and light snowfall.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
My sister originally had a 242 in her ZJ... and after a fun weekend the chain started slipping badly resulting in the thing grenading... replaced with a spare 231 we had and it drives butch better now :D

242's get crappier milage as well as not being as strong.... stick with the 231
In 2wd, they get the exact same mileage. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
The only reason to throw out the 231 is for a NV241OR out of a Rubicon. Thats a upgrade, the 242 ist a downgrade. :)
Yeah but the first guys that are reporting back on their 241 upgrades are saying it's a real biatch of an upgrade, not even close to being a direct bolt in. Worth the effort but it's not an easy job, especially where getting it mounted to the skidplate is concerned. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts