Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 YJ 2.5L no A/c

Trying to adjust the tension on the serpentine belt at the idler wheel.

I cannot get the long bolt that adjusts the idler wheel to turn more than a couple of turns in each dirrection. Is there something else that needs loosened first or what? I cant see back behind there very good.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
On mine the adjustment is done at the power steering pump, the idler is fixed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hum. I will have to check the pump. Maybe then when I loosen it the adjusting screw will turn more then. Thanks. I will take a closer look.

Changed thermostat last night. It was stuck closed. Looks like original. Been in there since 1995 Whew!:punk:

·
Registered
277 Posts
dboxjeep said:
Changed thermostat last night. It was stuck closed. Looks like original. Been in there since 1995 Whew!:punk:
What made you change it? Was it overheating?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
There are several bolts you have to loosen to get the pump to move, some are at the back of the pump, there is also one in the front below the pulley underneath, hard to see but it locks the adjusting screw.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. I will check the bolts around the pump!
Bad thermostat symptom. Top radiator hose very hot, bottom hose ice cold.

Heater very very hot. I think the heater core was doing most of the engine cooling.
Had it been warm here the motor probably would have over heated. Being it was in the low 20's here motor ran just under 210 mark on gauge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it!

Got it figured out. The belt adjustment IS the idler wheel.

Loosen the bolt in front of the idler wheel (15mm)

Then turn the adjusting bolt (approx 11:00 position from power steering pump) also 15mm

Right hand turn, tightens belt
Left hand turn, loosens belt

The long adjusting bolt was just rusty and hard to turn. After squirting a little penetrating oil on the threads everythings turned great! Thanks.

Bought a new Chilton manual. It is practically worthless.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Got it figured out. The belt adjustment IS the idler wheel.
Look at the power steering pump. There are four bolts (three in front, one in the back) that loosen the power steering pump. Then there is a very long bolt with the head on the drivers' side that allows you to adjust the tightness of the serpentine belt. Don't forget the bolt on the rear of the power steering pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1995 YJ 2.5L no A/c

Trying to adjust the tension on the serpentine belt at the idler wheel.

I cannot get the long bolt that adjusts the idler wheel to turn more than a couple of turns in each dirrection. Is there something else that needs loosened first or what? I cant see back behind there very good.

Dbox, I have just took my 91 all apart in that area.... theres a top bolt on the P.S. pump, that allows it to swing, and theres a bolt that you need to loosen before you loosen the long one, the long bolt goes into a ( torque nut ) that bolt needs to be loosened before turning the long one. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I think you are referring to the power steering pump pulley as the idler, the idler should be be near the alternator.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you are referring to the power steering pump pulley as the idler, the idler should be be near the alternator.
Not necessarily. On my of 4.0L engine the idler pulley is directly below the steering pump pulley, and the adjustment pulley is on the top of the bracket between the steering pump and the block. Dbox has the right info for adjustment.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Not necessarily. On my of 4.0L engine the idler pulley is directly below the steering pump pulley, and the adjustment pulley is on the top of the bracket between the steering pump and the block. Dbox has the right info for adjustment.
You may be correct but we were talking 2.5s with no AC

·
Registered
455 Posts
my 2.5 has no pulley below the ps, idler is below where the ac would be

·
Registered
2,303 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Yup, there is an extra pulley on yours.....hard to keep up with all the different changes they make between years and during production years itself...

·
Registered
455 Posts
looks like a TJ set up

·
Registered
924 Posts
4.0 YJ belt replacement/adjustment

Thank you for posting this!

The Haynes manual only says "loosen alternator bolt"... and that gets the belt off with out any issues, however, when I installed the new belt it was loose... the alternator bolts are not adjustable. So now I have a loose belt and Haynes does not mention which pulley is the adjustment! It is VERY hard to locate the adjustable pulley visually on a dirty old YJ!

All done now, thanks to the WF! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts