Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been asked already.
I'm using my old pinion and carrier bearings to make setup bearings.
Do I need to do anything with the races?
Or can I just install new races (pinion) and set everything up from there ?
Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Brit don't take this wrong! GET someone who knows what they are doing on your differential. NO you can't use new races and old bearings, why, they wear in to each other. If you need races you need bearings. You have to set load on bearings on pinion and then you have to set load and pattern on the teeth of the gears to be sure they are matting as they should. Someone who has done this for years you would be surprised at the messes I have had to straighten out and the $$$$$$ it cost customers to buy new gears and such because they tried to do it themselves. Its a feel, gauge and knowledge they you need to do ring and pinions. Now to naa sayers, go ahead and break it on the trail because you know more than someone who does it for a living. I tell my surgeon to not put me to sleep all the time so I can tell him how to do his job. Think About IT. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
288 Posts
He's talking about using old bearings which are machined slightly to slip on and off of the pinion and carrier to setup the differential then use new bearings for final assembly I believe.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I wouldn't use old worn bearings for setup. Last setup bearings I made I honed out a new set of bearings. I marked the set and put away in my tools for the next time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wouldn't use old worn bearings for setup. Last setup bearings I made I honed out a new set of bearings. I marked the set and put away in my tools for the next time.
I agree with this. New bearings of the same brand you plan on using for the final install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts