Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some projects I want to tackle this week but before I get started I need some guidance. How would I go about removing the dash to check on the two front in dash speakers (they look completely trashed but I want to test the wiring) and also how do I remove the speaker bar without taking off the whole soft top and frame? And lastly does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to remove some leftover carpet glue and fibers left over from the sloppy carpet removal that was done on my jeep? I'd like to Duraline it but those fibers are all over the tub and it wouldn't give me a nice even coating. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The dash breaks down pretty easily, I'll have to go look at my own to remember exactly how and I'll get back to you on that.

As for the carpet adhesive, try Acry-Solv solvent. Its an adhesive remover used in body shops and has worked well for me in the past. It'll leave a nice clean surface for you to Duraline it as well. Just remember its a tedious process and might take several applications for some of the thicker areas of adhesive.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
No way I would take the dash off to get to the speakers. Just reach up from the bottom and take the nuts off and they come out pretty easy....but, if you wanna do the dash thing here's what you have to do. Take the bolts out of the rollbar that attaches to the windshield frame, then take the bolts out of the frame that bolts to the tub (right above the speaker), then fold the windshield down, take all the torx bolts out of the top and the phillips screws, then you can pull the dash out a lil, but to get it off completely you have to pull the steering column loose too.

To remove the soundbar (if its factory), pull the flaps out and fold them up on each side exposing the bolts...then you have to unzip the rollbar at the back behind the soundbar and there are bolts there also

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. This is kind of a lazy day for me so now I have plenty to do. And what size are those speakers in the dash exactly? I might run out to Wal Mart or the local audio store to pick some up today. And I tried taking the sound bar off yesterday but ended combating a colony of stink bugs that made residence in both sides under the flaps. And Jenkins, where can you find that Acry-Solv at? Is it pretty pricey? Thanks again!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are each of the nuts you're talking about on the speakers? I mainly worked in the dark last night at my uncle's house because he has all the tools I needed. But my wiring is a complete rats nest because it looks like a high school car audio "technician" got a hold of it and decided to DIY and pair wrong colored wires together or bring in his own wires and completely remove the necessary wires from the wiring harness. So i spent a couple hours doing a twenty minute head unit replacement job leaving no time for dash speakers or speaker bar tinkering. And now my head unit calls me a failure on the screen and buzzes at me from the speaker bar when I turn the Jeep on and off. not sure why but thats for later today. But I'm exhausted and have read everything I possibly could for the night. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Should be 2-4 nuts on each one. In the corners.

Mine actualy had these little nobs that you twist on and off with your hand, not sure if that was stock, but it made it easy :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Also If I was you, look on craigslist and get a set of speakers for 10-20$.

Wal-mart doesn't have the best speakers and their going to run 80-100$ for a pair.

·
Registered
47 Posts
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/acryso...3.html?zenid=d34d50e10177300987481f7bb4ae6f6e

Here's a link to order it online, it's not that expensive.

If the solvent doesn't work for you, then I'd invest in a heat gun if you don't have one already. They come in real handy. You can heat the glue up with it and then scrape it up much easier. You'll still need to wipe down the area with the solvent b4 you Duraline it though, so try the solvent first.

·
Registered
241 Posts
We loosened the sides of the dash and I used a pry bar, son replaced the speakers, lol. a '91 BTW.

It all tightens back up. :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
I own/run a sign shop, and for removing all kinds of adhesive residue, decals, etc. I start with a citrus based adhesive remover (trade brand is Goof off or something like that) and then scrap off what you can, then some alcohol, scrap again, then Naptha, then for really hard stuff, acetone. You just have to keep trying because there really isn't a 'one shot cure' for all adhesives and eventually you will hit the one that dissolves your crap and peels it right off. Sometimes just softening it up lets you scrap it off-that's why you scrape after each application. And tear up some paper towel to a little larger than the glob of goo...so that you can soak the spot and let it sit for a few minutes to see if the solvent is working. Just pouring it on isn't going to do the job.
Good luck...eventually you will get it off if you want a really smooth surface for the liner to grab. And try a razor knife-like a windshield tag remover...for thin goop it may get right under it and lift it off. Watch your fingers!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. I'll look around for that solvent Jenkins. And I've become obsessed with craigslist ever since I got my Jeep off there Wiegand. Its my new best friend. And I think I may actually upload a picture of the rear seat area of the tub of my Jeep so y'all can see what exactly it looks like and maybe provide a simpler solution or a quicker solution because it really doesn't have much adhesive. I think its actually they didn't clean out the tub properly and sprayed the Rustoleum coating over all the junk that was left in the tub. But I'll go ahead and purchase some of those products you mentioned NHRubicon and get to prepping this afternoon.

And a quick sidenote: I posted in the tech forum about not being able to post in the wanted forums and i was told I needed 15 posts but with this one it makes sixteen posts I've got so am I doing something wrong or do I have some sort of restriction on my account?

Thanks again guys!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts