Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else see this video? i like the idea and am thinking of starting the same thing in my area!:dance: What do yall think? Good sumaritans in jeeps! sounds good to me and gives me even better reason to be out jeepin in the snow lol

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Count me in

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
I fully agree with the idea. We don't get much weather in my area, but when we do, it's like the whole place shuts down due to the roads rather it be snow/ice or high waters.

·
Registered
299 Posts
carpediem said:
Anybody else see this video? i like the idea and am thinking of starting the same thing in my area!:dance: What do yall think? Good sumaritans in jeeps! sounds good to me and gives me even better reason to be out jeepin in the snow lol
Would be pretty boring here in east Texas, not much snow here. I suppose it would be good for checking on folks after a tornado...if said tornado doesn't blow the jeeps away. These days can't even depend on winter flooding...winter dust storms maybe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
a neighbor was helping someone out where I grew up, the vehicle was a Toyota Landcruiser, & he wrecked pretty bad on ice, she sued & won, he lost his house, it was his childhoom home, & had inherited it when his parents died, & someone else now lives there.

yes he had insurance, but only minimums required by law, her medical bills were more than his insurance. He told me he regretted ever helping her, & he didnt know her, but was a friend of one of his friends, & that was the last time he ever helped anyone. I havent kept up, as he moved away, but he did lose everything he had because of helping someone, or because of wrecking with a passenger, otherwise he would have been at home, & probably would still live there.

something to think about.

·
Registered
260 Posts
a neighbor was helping someone out where I grew up, the vehicle was a Toyota Landcruiser, & he wrecked pretty bad on ice, she sued & won, he lost his house, it was his childhoom home, & had inherited it when his parents died, & someone else now lives there.

yes he had insurance, but only minimums required by law, her medical bills were more than his insurance. He told me he regretted ever helping her, & he didnt know her, but was a friend of one of his friends, & that was the last time he ever helped anyone. I havent kept up, as he moved away, but he did lose everything he had because of helping someone, or because of wrecking with a passenger, otherwise he would have been at home, & probably would still live there.

:facepalm: Hope she burns.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Talk about good press! That's about the best we could hope for as a Jeep community. Well done SWAT!! :appl:

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts

I am by NO MEANS calling you a liar, but, most states do indeed have good samaritan laws, which PROTECT regular joes from being sued, if something occurs when they were trying to help someone in a NON PROFESSIONAL CAPACITY, and NOT GETTING COMPENSATED. Seems VERY odd to me that he was "just trying to help" and had a ruling against him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great idea and looks like it would a blast to do. Wish I still lived in Buffalo, NY. Down here in Cincinnati, snows not that much of a big deal (well to me at least. 2ins down here is a code 3 snow emergency to everyone esle, heehehhehe). Anyway, great idea and an even better way to give back to the community.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am by NO MEANS calling you a liar, but, most states do indeed have good samaritan laws, which PROTECT regular joes from being sued, if something occurs when they were trying to help someone in a NON PROFESSIONAL CAPACITY, and NOT GETTING COMPENSATED. Seems VERY odd to me that he was "just trying to help" and had a ruling against him.
I know, but good samaritan, only goes so far, it didnt work in this instance, but he slid into a bridge, thats in a curve, & rolled over a guard rail & down an embankment, he was driving over the speed limit, which was 35mph, he was running about 40, & was in bad weather, & he pretty much was carrying her to where she needed to go, she didnt want to drive in the mess afraid she would wreck, she was going to pay for a ride, I forget where he was taking her, but this is like if someone asked for a ride & you wrecked, they have every right to sue you. same here, but he did it because he thought he could get out, & have fun, & thought he would be helping her, never realising he would lose everything.

I had another friend that had a diabetic siezure while driving, he rolled his truck with another friend in it, when do you not have the right to be sued? except that friend didnt have anything, but insurance paid, the one that had the siezure died from complications of diabetes 3 years ago, the other is still alive, & yes he sued insurance company, he almost lost sight as had glass in eyes. this ruined their friendship, but he had no control over siezure, except he had been having them regularly & continued to drive until he had his wreck.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Nothing protects you from being sued, nothing. When I was in college and took a business law class, the professor always asked this question, "Who can you sue?" The answer was "Anyone and everyone."

The good samaritan law can help you from losing the case, but not from actually being sued. In order to defeat the good samaritan defense, they have to prove gross negligence. Driving above, or even at, the speed limit in hazardous road conditions could fit that definition.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
:punk:

ive been known to go out and help nothing official though and you hook the strap where you want it

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Saw the film clip on TV last night........

.... and was impressed! I spent 10-yrs with a Volunteer Rescue Crew, so I understand the importance of this SWAT.

I retire the end of FEB this year and I am interested in starting such a Team in my area. My family is in health care (hospital) and all of them do not have 4x4 vehicles, so I know 1st-hand how much the SWAT could mean to our 2-hospitals :thumb:

I am in :wavey:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts