Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I need some help with getting rid of the plastic bumpers (pics below) and replacing them with metal bumpers. I don't know much about cars, and don't have much space or the tools. I'm looking for a store where I can trade-in the plastic bumpers, buy metal bumpers and have them install it. The only store I could locate was http://www.4wheelparts.com/ who sell and install the stuff, but doesn't look like they will take the plastic bumpers. I'm trying to avoid the hassle of selling it on ebay/CraigsList and get everything done at one place. If you know about any such store within 70 miles from Zip:94121 please let me know. If there's some other way to get this done, I would be interested to learn about that. TIA for your help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
4 Wheel Parts is likely to be the only shop in the Bay Area where you can both buy the bumpers and have them installed.
Forget about trying to sell the plastic bumpers; nobody is going to buy them from you. Just chuck them in the recycle bin and be on your way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Grand Umpah. That's what I thought after looking around on the internet, but I was seriously hoping someone here will prove me wrong and I'll make some $$ by selling the plastic bumpers. Anyway, thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
As someone who has removed 3 sets of factory plastics here in the bay area I can tell you either recycle them or put them on the Craigslist free section they wont move any other way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm in the Carmel/Monterey area and I have two sets sitting outside of my garage....4WDP will throw them away or recycle them for you if you want them to install your new ones.....just be prepared they charge an arm and a leg for their installs! Depending on what you buy they really are not that hard of a job....just fyi

·
Registered
696 Posts
Stock bumpers are not completely worthless, you can actually sell them for a few bucks (somewhere in $40-80 range). People are buying those for either replacing damaged bumpers on non-modded jeeps (kinda obvious) and also for downgrading their jeeps before trade in.

I actually sold my front bumper for 50 bucks (although it had a custom driving lights mounts, which was a big selling point :) )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. You have been very helpful. I'm OK with just recycling them or giving them away if no one is willing to buy them.

I wasn't aware that 4WP is expensive for installation, thanks artfuentes for letting me know. I'm willing to give it a try myself, just that I have to start from the scratch i.e. with buying the tools I'll need. I started my research and as of now I have no idea what kind if bumper I want. There are so many verities, and the price range varies a lot too. I'm not looking for anything extreme at this point, mostly for Hollister Hills and 4x4 camping spots close by like in the Sierras. But metal bumpers with a winch and a jack sort of seems essential for off-roading. If you guys have any suggestion about a good bumper for beginners, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Thanks everyone. You have been very helpful. I'm OK with just recycling them or giving them away if no one is willing to buy them.

I wasn't aware that 4WP is expensive for installation, thanks artfuentes for letting me know. I'm willing to give it a try myself, just that I have to start from the scratch i.e. with buying the tools I'll need. I started my research and as of now I have no idea what kind if bumper I want. There are so many verities, and the price range varies a lot too. I'm not looking for anything extreme at this point, mostly for Hollister Hills and 4x4 camping spots close by like in the Sierras. But metal bumpers with a winch and a jack sort of seems essential for off-roading. If you guys have any suggestion about a good bumper for beginners, please let me know.

I am happy to help if you dont mind coming out to the east bay. I have all the tools that one would need to swap out bumpers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am happy to help if you dont mind coming out to the east bay. I have all the tools that one would need to swap out bumpers.
Definitely don't mind, I was at 4WP in Oakland just this weekend. Also I would be happy to buy you lunch, thank you so much for your offer to help. This is very kind of you.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Definitely don't mind, I was at 4WP in Oakland just this weekend. Also I would be happy to buy you lunch, thank you so much for your offer to help. This is very kind of you.
Sent you a PM with my cell #

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You could drive up to Portland and we'll do it together. I've never taken off bumpers before but it doesn't look that hard and you need only a couple of tools. I'm hoping to remove/install my front bumper this weekend if the weather cooperates. My new rear bumper should be here sometime next week.

YouTube is your friend.

Front bumper removal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAOVYJFqGco

Rear bumper removal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDOhALWnZvo

There's lots more videos on YT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Downing: Thanks for the videos, I'm pretty stoked! Looking forward to get my hands dirty.

GreenNotch: Thanks for telling me about MetalCloak. Their price seems a bit steeper than 4WP or ExtremeTerrain, I couldn't figure out why. It must be the quality I guess.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts