Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a post about this in the TJ tech forum, but I really should've started here. Anybody know a shop that will road force balance my 33" Duratracs until they are right? I just had them balanced for the third time and still got a steering shimmy from 45-55. The last balance was road force actually but I don't know if the guy cared or really kept at it until it was right. He did find one of the tires had too much runout and that one is being replaced. I'm in North Hollywood.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I use 10 ounces of bb's in my super swamper iroks 37s. And never had a shimmy!

:happyyes:
Same 10 ozs of BBs in my 33" BFGs. I call it "Auto-balance"

I'm sure there is an explanation, but I have no clue how or why it works!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive read a whole lot of mixed reviews about the beads/bb's. I'd like to do traditional balance if I can. No one out there's got a good place for road force balancing?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Ive read a whole lot of mixed reviews about the beads/bb's. I'd like to do traditional balance if I can. No one out there's got a good place for road force balancing?

Since you have some Big O Tires.....maybe they can take care of you!!! LOL

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got my mtrs balanced by big o tires with the roadforce machine

18440 Ventura Blvd, Tarzana, CA 91356

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh hey, alright a recommendation! Did they have to spin any of the tires on the wheels or did they just add weights? How much did they charge? I just had them road force balanced but the guy didn't spin any tires on the wheels (match mount), and I've still got a shimmy. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh hey, alright a recommendation! Did they have to spin any of the tires on the wheels or did they just add weights? How much did they charge? I just had them road force balanced but the guy didn't spin any tires on the wheels (match mount), and I've still got a shimmy. Thanks in advance.
Mmmm not sure they unmounted all tires balanced all tires using the balancing machine and added weights. They did a great job on balancing them. I believe they charge 15-20$ per tire but if u pay alittle more you can get lifetime balancing.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh but they did unmount the tires and started from scratch? That sounds good. Were you having a problem or were they new tires? Do you remember the guys name that did the work? And lastly, how much weight did they end up adding? I've got one wheel that's got a little over 14 oz. on it!

Sorry for 20 questions! This is just driving me nuts, I've had these tires balanced 3 times and nobody is really working on them until they are right.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes from scratch because I had purchased new rims so mount and balance. Well I have goodyears mtrs (which are know for being hard to balance them)I had maybe 2k on them before I swap them to my new wheels. They were actually able to use less weights than the previous shop that mount my new tires. I don't know his name but he is the manager he is usually always at the shop.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I am running 35x12.50 GoodYear MTR Kevlars and had a problem with balance. I tried a couple places (4 wheel parts twice, Just Tires) but I finally found an America's Tire that would listen to my concerns about numerous places not being able to balance these tires. They took their time with the road force balance and got them correct.

Maybe explain the situation to your local America's Tire and see if they will listen like the one I tried did.....

_

·
Registered
302 Posts
Are you sure your shimmy is from unbalanced tires and not from worn suspension components?
I'm sure my suspension is fairly new. I know a lot of people who are running mtrs and had issues balancing them Just like the person above experienced.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm sure my suspension is fairly new. I know a lot of people who are running mtrs and had issues balancing them Just like the person above experienced.
Have you checked your tie rod ends on your tie rod/drag link as well? I also ran the BB'S in my 35x12.50 mtrs before I had the swampers never had any issues. Best way to go. Everyone you stop and then take off again it rebalances to what it needs too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just installed an all new suspension lift, everything torqued to spec with a torque wrench. Driven about 400 miles or so since install. Had the shimmy from the day I completed it and put on the new tires/wheels. Also installed a new crown hd steering kit then too. I am going to retorque the steering linkage tomorrow just to be sure.

my996duc1- which Americas tire did you go to in SoCal?

As far as the bb's, they will be my last resort. I've read so many mixed reviews, some love some hate.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I just installed an all new suspension lift, everything torqued to spec with a torque wrench. Driven about 400 miles or so since install. Had the shimmy from the day I completed it and put on the new tires/wheels. Also installed a new crown hd steering kit then too. I am going to retorque the steering linkage tomorrow just to be sure.

my996duc1- which Americas tire did you go to in SoCal?

As far as the bb's, they will be my last resort. I've read so many mixed reviews, some love some hate.
Just curious what are the reviews that people didn't like them? I've never heard a bad review. I know many people I've talked to first hand that love them just as much as I do.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh just in googling I've found many posts and videos and comments where people love them and also where people couldn't stand them and took them out first chance they got.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts