Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Im new to jeeps. Im wanting to keep my yj stock leafs but add maybe 2'' shackles and new shocks. What are some shackles yall recommend and do I need extended shocks?\
Thanks in advance

Edit: I have a stock 95 yj with 31x10.50x15

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have 1.5" shackles on mine and is a relatively easy change. I kept the stock leafs and stock shocks. 2" is extreme based on what I gathered when researching to do my own. You don't 'have' to change the shocks but you will certainly want to. I am planning to change mine out within the next month when I throw my 8.8 rear under it. Like everything on my Jeep I have to do it in small bites so my bank account doesnt freak out. :p Here is a great link I found when researching the longer shackles.

All about shackles - JeepForum.com

Google is a great place to start when you are considering any upgrades to your Jeep, not only because there are at least 100 other people who have already done it to an older Jeep but you can usually save a few pennies along the way in finding the parts. Good luck and happy Jeepin'!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 1.5" shackles on mine and is a relatively easy change. I kept the stock leafs and stock shocks. 2" is extreme based on what I gathered when researching to do my own. You don't 'have' to change the shocks but you will certainly want to. I am planning to change mine out within the next month when I throw my 8.8 rear under it. Like everything on my Jeep I have to do it in small bites so my bank account doesnt freak out. :p Here is a great link I found when researching the longer shackles.

All about shackles - JeepForum.com

Google is a great place to start when you are considering any upgrades to your Jeep, not only because there are at least 100 other people who have already done it to an older Jeep but you can usually save a few pennies along the way in finding the parts. Good luck and happy Jeepin'!

Thanks so much man. I will look into the 1.5''. Also what kind of shocks were you planning on going with? I was looking at RC

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Undecided at the moment but leaning towards the Skyjackers. I have had those on previous Jeeps and liked them. There are a lot of new ones out there now though so still shopping around.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Check out the BDS 5500 series hydro shocks. I love mine. And I'd stay away from the 2" lift shackles. They can bend springs and cause bad bumpsteer. If you want 2" of lift, I'd recommend 1" body lift and 1" boomerang shackles.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
For the price of new shocks and shackles alone your about 1/2 way to the cost of the lift kit.. I say save up a bit more and just get a complete lift kit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the price of new shocks and shackles alone your about 1/2 way to the cost of the lift kit.. I say save up a bit more and just get a complete lift kit.
Ya I know im pretty much there but ive done a lot of research on the YJ suspension and the stock leafs have a negative arch from the factory and I really don't want a rough ride by replacing with lift springs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out the BDS 5500 series hydro shocks. I love mine. And I'd stay away from the 2" lift shackles. They can bend springs and cause bad bumpsteer. If you want 2" of lift, I'd recommend 1" body lift and 1" boomerang shackles.
What length shock would you think for a 1-1 1/2'' shackles and a 1'' body?
Also im not really familiar with body lift. Im from the Toyota Tacoma world where body lifts are the devil lol. But I know they aren't so bad on jeeps just don't know why

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'm not sure on length of shocks. BDS has a set for 0-2" lift I think though, which is what I'd do. They're on eBay. And body lifts aren't bad in small amounts. 1-2" is fine, above that means weak body bolts and shifter interference. They're a great way to gain clearance and open the path to tummy tucks and gas tank lifts.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ran 2 inch shackles on stock spring & shocks for around 3 years with no problems, but 4jeepins right another 200 and you can get the whole lift. New lift and get rid of track bars and jeep will ride better than stock.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You can get away with stock shocks with 1" shackles. My PO did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts