Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting on a zone 2 in lift on my 93 yj frame side of the leaf spring bolts are stuck going to cut them off tonight where can I get some new ones and what grade bolt is it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having a hell of a time with one of the shackle bolts. It really seems to hate me. Impact wrench, heat, grinder. Thinking of just taking a sawzall to it. Fairly new to jeep life, Any recommendations?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to take the grinder to a couple of mine even after spraying them with nut-z-lube for about a week. New bolts are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had one frozen so bad I had to cut the shackle off. Then had to grind the nut and bolt head off, I still couldn't pound it out. So I bought a ball joint press from harbor freight and put my pneumatic impact on it. Still wouldn't budge, so I took a 3/16 drill bit and drilled the snot out of the rubber. That finally got it loose enough I could drive it out with the ball joint press.

Whole process was less than fun but man did I feel good about it when I finally finished it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just put a zone lift on my 95 yesterday and 3 of the 4 frame bolts were seized in the bushing and one of the rear shackle bolts was seized. The best way to get rid of them was with a cutting disc on my grinder. I cut inside the the frame mounts as far as i could and then used my impact gun to break the bolt and nut off. Took about 10 mins per bolt. I got all the hardware I needed at lowes. They have a good selection of grade 8 hardware.

·
Registered
235 Posts
frame hanger bolts are 9/16 5 inch bolts and shackles are 1/2 inch 5 inch bolts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had to use a cutting disk for both of the front bolts on the leaf spring and the trak bar. I'm in the middle of replacing the old leaf springs but no one around here carries the correct size u-bolts. If you want to get the bushing out I think fire is always easier than pounding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ended up just taking a grinder with a cutting wheel on it to those SOB's, sawzall didn't do a thing. I ended up getting the replacements from Lowe's, they are the 1/2in-13x4in with the appropriate nuts.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
and should you every have to take them off again. coast the entire bolt with anti seize compound before install.. makes life so much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts