Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wheelin, my steering wheel is no longer straight and my shackle is listing to the side. Where do i start?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Looks like you bent the shackles... rock impact maybe...
Take em off n bend em back or replace em...

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd simply replace the shackles and check it out then. If the new shackles want to go sideways, then I'd be concerned.
I like the shackle plates that Jarhead Al suggests. A small upgrade to do both front sides.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
It’s really hard to tell if they are bent, but there’s only one way to find out.
Somethings a little bent, look at the parallel from the frame mount to the spring mount looks like he landed on the shackle and it twisted the spring a little, I think I'd replace the shackles rather than bend back a compromised shackle, Once you get them off hopefully the leaf will flex back. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
You may be on to something, blow up the picture and the main eye bolt looks out of whack also

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The flange on it is bent a little bit but that's not the cause of the problem here and really not a big deal.

A quick smack with a hammer while the shackles are out and it'll be a thing of the past.

The shackles are only slightly bent. Straightening them out will be a non-issue, definitely not enough to be a cracking problem. Like I said before straighten them or replace them and this problem will go away ... until the next time anyhow. ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all that. I'll try to take it apart this weekend.

Does this have anything to do with my steering wheel being off center? I tried to fix that but the draglink wouldn't budge. Deep creep on it now, and a torch later.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
I'd replace both front shackles before I worried about the steering wheel not being centered. If it doesn't go back to center after replacing the shackles, I'd examine everything very closely for more damage. Then, if you don't find any damage, I'd take the Jeep to a shop that specializes in 4X4 vehicles and have them do a thrust angle alignment.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Take some more photos for us, close up, different angles, etc... this will insure we give the best advice.

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
@Jarhead Al recommended these:

They're 3/8" rather than 1/4" and way less expensive. Not greasable-you use your old bolts.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Wouldn't waste my money on 1/4" thick shackles get 3/8" thick such as the Barnes 4wd

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wont I need bushings and bolts since they'll be probably be shot after 27 years

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I restored my bolts, but I did buy new nuts
It’s hard to find bolts of the quality that was originally used, I chased all the threads, de-rusted, and painted with black oxide.

6A14451F-4880-439C-B252-D1ED036950D8.jpeg 1F4B956C-7044-4301-9BE2-FA02436AEAE1.jpeg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts