Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a shackle reversal on there rigs...whats the pros and cons?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
I do....... it rides a lot nicer over bumps, and on the street. You just have to make sure your front driveshaft has enough travel before it bottoms out or it will punch through your transfer case. Reverse shackles allow the front axle to move back as the leaf springs compress. Also, the frontend has a tendency to dive when hitting the brakes hard, not a big deal to me, as it doesn't affect handling or anything....IMHO.

There's a lot of naysayers that will tell you if it was a good way to go, Jeep would have built it that way, but I'm pretty sure those people have never had a reverse shackle Jeep, at least I've never heard of anyone that has them say they don't like it.

If I had a stock Jeep, I'd do it again, it's well worth the added ride quality and fairly simple to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I kept mine in the stock location. After weighing the pros/cons and seeing what people say across the board, on various rigs, it didn't seem worth it to me. What I read pretty much was an even split in what people think about the mod. When it comes down to that, just go with your gut.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I do....... it rides a lot nicer over bumps, and on the street. You just have to make sure your front driveshaft has enough travel before it bottoms out or it will punch through your transfer case. Reverse shackles allow the front axle to move back as the leaf springs compress. Also, the frontend has a tendency to dive when hitting the brakes hard, not a big deal to me, as it doesn't affect handling or anything....IMHO.

There's a lot of naysayers that will tell you if it was a good way to go, Jeep would have built it that way, but I'm pretty sure those people have never had a reverse shackle Jeep, at least I've never heard of anyone that has them say they don't like it.

If I had a stock Jeep, I'd do it again, it's well worth the added ride quality and fairly simple to do.
Agreed. I like the way it drives on and off road.

Do either of you guys notice any weird suspension unloading when climbing steep terrain? That's the one thing I'm worried about with the shackle reversal.

(This thread should probably be in the YJ tech forum instead of the build forum, FYI to the OP)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I never have and I take my YJ over lots of different types of terrain. Last year in Farmington NM, I went wheeling with my club and I went everywhere that coil sprung TJ's, JK's and non shackle reversal YJs and Cjs went with no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts