Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am half way through my YJ build. I replaced the rotten frame of my original 1992 Jeep with one from a 1994. It already had a shackle reversal system on it. I installed the 4” lift springs on the shackle reversal system using factory shackles. Seems like my axle now sits too far forward. My track bar doesn’t line up properly and my front drive shaft is at full extension just to reach the axle..my question is, will installing longer shackle allow it to drop to a more vertical rating position and draw the axle back?? How can I fix this? I measured the geometry of the leaf spring mounting points and they measure exactly as the BDS reversal system specs advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
No a longer shackle won't help.
If it were me I'd cut the srs stuff off and go back to stock

·
Super Moderator
12,668 Posts
Are you certain that your front springs are installed correctly? Perhaps they can be switched end for end. Did you measure from the center of each spring eye to the center of the center bolt? If one measurement is shorter than the other, the short end of the spring should go to the rear. (Unless you remove the shackle reverse and go back to stock).

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I remember when shackle reversals were popular but it seems like they are hated now and even Freiburger regrets it.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I ran a shackle reversal on my '87YJ for 19 years. I loved the way it handled. I loved the way it absorbed the bumps and rocks off road and the speed bumps on road. The turning radius enlarged a little bit but, Oh Well! Having said all that, I also would NOT do it again because of this fact. Over the years, the supporting part of the system being clear out at the very front end of the frame, caused the frame to flex much more. The frame never cracked, but the rigidly mounted front fenders did. After about 5-7 years in, the fenders started getting small stress cracks and dents on the vertical edges just above the plastic mud flaps. If I had kept the jeep, I was going to put the stock set up back on and replace the front fenders. I never ran any sway bars or track bars front or rear. I took all that stuff off after I built her and she drove perfectly. I drove her very carefully and respected that she was built for off road flex, not on road Sports Car handling ability. Just have to make sure all of the leaf spring grommets are polyurethane instead of rubber. Rubber allows too much flex. I never had a problem with the axles not staying perfectly centered under the frame or with excess sway on road. I could driver her 70 mph down the freeway with one finger in a wind storm. The SRS did remove all of the over (quick) steer that the jeep had before I put it on. She steered more like a car than a jeep.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s been a while, but I ended up removing the SRS. It caused my steering to bind, needed to lengthen the driveshaft. Just not worth it. I ended up re-welding the factory spring perches back on and returning to a factory setup. No more issues. My experience with SRS...unless its a dedicated off road machine, or your willing to fiddle around with the rest of the front end...it’s simply not worth it. IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts