Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a guy today that said a shcakle reversal would be a good improvement. Sounds like a good idea. What have you guys done? And what's the best way to do it?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
TO MY UNDERSTANDING, the stock shackle set up on a wrangler is the best for off roading. It is set up so when you hit the gas while you are climbing a steep hill your rear end will actually raise up a little bit and your front end will suck down slightly. The same thing goes for going down hill, when you hit the brakes the front end will actully raise up a little while the rear will slightly suck down (how warped your springs are will play a factor in this). For these reasons I will stick to a stock shackle set up rather than a shackle reversal or coils for that matter.

SHACKLE REVERSE-- Popular for many years with do-it-yourselfers, and more recently available in kit form. Common with off-road racers running front leaf springs as highspeed impacts are absorbed through the rear of the spring than up front. The shackle reverse is best when NOT used on short wheelbase vehicles like a Wrangler. If all it took to get a smooth ride was to put the shackles in back, then Jeep would have built the Wrangler this way, Toyota with the Landcruiser, Land Rover with the Rover series, and Suzuki with the Samurai. The bottom line is that shackle reversals on short wheelbase vehicles cause strange and potentially dangerous things to happen to your vehicle at highway speeds when you are braking hard. You will NEVER see a shackle reverse on a short wheelbase vehicle from any factory for this reason. In a nutshell, the S/R theoretically designed as a possible way to try to smooth out a rough riding vehicle on mild terrain; which means forest roads, desert driving, scenic, etc; and this theory does work somewhat well with long wheelbase vehicles like pickup trucks, but not with any safety on short wheelbase vehicles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Sounds like I'll keep it as is. I just really like cheap easy things to improve my ride and offroad capabilities.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I know guys that do it. I'm just pointing out concerns. If you learn how it works you can better control it.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
If you are looking for a smoother ride there are solutions.

Get some new boomerang shackles and bushings so you know they are moving.

Get some real shocks Billsteins or Fox. You have to spend a little but a huge difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I'm looking at either the OME lift or the Rancho. My dad is running some on his TJ and my other dad is running rancho on his CJ and they both love them. But I'm always up for new ideas, and cheap easy ways to do things

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
If you are looking for a smoother ride there are solutions.

Get some new boomerang shackles and bushings so you know they are moving.

Get some real shocks Billsteins or Fox. You have to spend a little but a huge difference.
How are the Boomerang Shackles? Are there different sizes and are they 1 inch from stock OEM shackles? Thanks for any advice, I'm thinking of running those shackles because I'm using the stock ones and man having different shackles really makes a difference in the ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts