Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep came with what seems to be only a shackle lift (no body lift). The bolts on the shackle are 6.5" from center to center. The leaf springs appear to be stock and are basically flat. I do not know just how much lift it has but it fits 31s without issue. I would like to keep the height about the same but replace the springs and shocks. Any ideas on what spring/shackle combination will give me a nice ride at the same height?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Lift shackles create pinion and caster problems and do not provide much lift, you get 1/2" lift for a 1" shackle. I have the same shackles on my jeep they were made by Con Ferr who went out of business many years ago. I would run factory length shackles and lift springs but they start out at about 2" of lift.

Reactions: pc1p and DREDnot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the factory shackles are 4" and mine are 6.5", I am getting about 1.25" of lift out of them, right? Maybe even less now due to the factory leaf springs being completely flat after ~15 years with these shackles. I want to change the springs without having to do a t-case drop or SYE if possible. Would a 1.5" leaf spring lift allow that?

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Using a stock replacement spring is probably the best way to maintain the ride height and avoid the other issues.
My 2.5" lift kit netted close to 4".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you think factory shackles with new springs would be about the same as these 6.5" shackles with 29 year old springs? Even if there was a small drop I would be OK so long as the 31s clear.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Depending on how flat your Springs are, possibly. My stock Springs were so flat that from a 4" lift I got about 6" of lift (plus the trail master kits seem to add more than described). 30's clear on a completely stock yj so with your shackles and new Springs you should be OK with 31's. But understand that this is all guessing until you get in to it.

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
I used heavy duty springs from General Spring in Kansas City. The heavy duty springs have an extra leaf. If you have issues with tire to body clearance and don't want a spring lift, you should be clear with a 1" body lift. I did a 2" body lift and have plenty of clearance with 31s and stock length shackles. I didn't have to cut my fenders either. I have aftermarket steel wheels with 4" backspacing.
I had to turn one of the spring clamps around because my front tire hit it at full turn.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
722 Posts
A 2 or 2 1/2" lift with stock shackles should clear 31" tires no problem. But as stated a new set of springs may net you more than the advertised lift, because your before measurements are being done on a flat worn out suspension. If you were to measure a new set of stock springs against the lifted springs you would find the lift kit measurements more in line with the advertisement.

My 93's springs are so bad they are actually inverting at the ends due to the tall shackles they PO installed so I am assuming I am going to get a big change in lift height when I do mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts