Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Stock is 4" bolt to bolt, anything taller will equal roughly half the extra distance. But it's widely recommended to go with a body lift for an economy lift rather than with your shackles.

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
Can't tell much from the pic but "death stilts" pops into my head.

Is the Jeep squirrelly at highway speeds? Longer shackles affect your front end caster which affects steering stability.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock is 4" bolt to bolt, anything taller will equal roughly half the extra distance. But it's widely recommended to go with a body lift for an economy lift rather than with your shackles.
So the shackle lift was already done. Do you mean it’s less $$$ for a body lift as opposed to shackle lift? Which is better/worse, does it matter

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't tell much from the pic but "death stilts" pops into my head.

Is the Jeep squirrelly at highway speeds? Longer shackles affect your front end caster which affects steering stability.

Good Luck, L.M.
Ha. Depends on what you consider high speeds!! I’m not sure that I’ve gone faster than 70 and steering is all good

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Body lift is cheaper than new springs and new shocks. Shackle lift is cheapest way to go and if you go too tall, dangerous.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Especially those ones you have with all the extra holes, that much weaker supporting your front end.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
I would imagine that a bolt sleeved with a spacer would help them from buckling, but for the little bit of lift you get (not as much as you think because the lift is cut in half because of the position of the axle) why not move the spring up a hole or two so that you are at the 5in"Max" most folks recommend.

You should measure bolt to bolt and post the actual measurement first. Your pic is so far away and at a weird angle it's really hard to see what you really have.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Take em off... throw em away.... replace w stock shackles....

THEN address any lift you may want....
Tell us how much you want and what you want to spent along with how you plan to use the jeep....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take em off... throw em away.... replace w stock shackles....

THEN address any lift you may want....
Tell us how much you want and what you want to spent along with how you plan to use the jeep....
well here’s the thing, where i am there isn’t much to off-road on. Unfortunately this will really only be on the road and maybe on the beach. Is it worth my time to change?

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
well here’s the thing, where i am there isn’t much to off-road on. Unfortunately this will really only be on the road and maybe on the beach. Is it worth my time to change?
The point we're trying to make is, and the question should be, "Is it worth taking the chance if them failing at 65mph rolling down the freeway rather than 10mph on a trail", Possibly causing an accident and causing harm to yourself and possibly others?

Stock shackle plates are $6.00 each on Quadratec, you need 4.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Absolutely.... those are unsafe....

You can do a small body lift for very little money.... OR don't do a lift at all but those horrible shackles need to go

......Stock shackle plates are $6.00 each on Quadratec, you need 4.
Or 8 if the rear has been done too...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts