Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Standard Replacement Shackles

Greaseable Replacement Shackles

Revolver Shackles

now i dont know much about shackles, they seem like a cheap way to put a lift on your jeep. what are the pro's and con's? can they be put back on when i eventually get a suspension lift? im clueless... and what are the biggest tires you can throw on when u have 2" shackles? thanks jeepsters. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would not go with shackles for lift if anything I would go with the revolver shackles to give you more flex if you want a cheep lift di a 2 in BL and you can fit 32's

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I call Jeeps I se with shackle lifts Sabertooths. They look a little odd to me. I don't agree with Anger though. I don't think 32s are a good idea with just a body lift. There will be some serious rubbing, and the body has nothing to do with it. The only good way to squeeze oversize tires on a YJ is to get a good lift going.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i haven't heard a lot of good things about revolver shacks...heard about a lot of binding and bouncing when the jeep comes back down...but then again xtreme 4x4 put them on a CJ and they said they were great

·
Registered
57 Posts
shackle revearsal man

but like amerijeep said, a body lift wont be good

git yourself a good 4'' suspension lift and then get the 33's

hahaha sabertooth, that made me laugh

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
i put 1" shackles on the rear of mine to take care of a slight rub. no probs that i can tell. i put new springs up front that had an add-a-leaf (FREEBIE!!) and with no trackbars or swaybars i had some rubbing at full extension with 31"s. sawzall took care of that problem :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
amerijeep said:
I call Jeeps I se with shackle lifts Sabertooths. They look a little odd to me. I don't agree with Anger though. I don't think 32s are a good idea with just a body lift. There will be some serious rubbing, and the body has nothing to do with it. The only good way to squeeze oversize tires on a YJ is to get a good lift going.
I had 32X9.50-15 Buckshots on my stock wrangler with only a 2in bL and had apsolutly no rubbing at full turn L&R maby my jeep was diffrent from all others? But saying this I do plan on removing the BL when I go spring over this winter. I want to lower the center of gravity as much as possable for the rock piles.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Hmm. I think you're Jeep is different. Honestly, I don't think there is much benefit in a body lift just to fit bigger tires. Most of the time when you are stuck is because you are bottomed out....

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i gotta agree to this...my gas tank got stuck on the ground when going in to a mud pit...if i would have had a suspension lift i woulda cleared it...a body lift wouldn't have got my gas tank any higher

btw, removing the BL is a good idea if your doin a spring over considering that they usually give you a lot of lift

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Personally, I have no problem with shackle lifts. They are built much stronger than stock and will give you that extra 1" of lift needed to clear 31's without rubbing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If he thinks revolvers are cheap than he needs to check again.

So do you guys think it would be easy to fab some revolvers just wondering.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Our 93 YJ project is on a strict budget,(burry the receipts in the back yard) so mom dont find em. We went with 2" shackle
= 1" lift installed at the local 4WD shop. Rancho 5000 stock length shocks. and 9.5 X 31 Mickey Thompsons. Now what we learned is that what is marked on the sidewall is NOT the actual
height of the tire, they vary. Ours actaully measure 30". We also NOW have ALL of the axle snubbers in place. We have bottomed out. = nice ripple behind rear wheel well in 1/4pannel.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
agriesemer said:

So do you guys think it would be easy to fab some revolvers just wondering.

well they can't be that expensive or xtreme 4x4 wouldn't have been able to use them in there budget build on a CJ

·
Registered
189 Posts
agriesemer said:

180.00 a set shipped if this is an expensive mod to you your in for a surprise when you really start having fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have the 4" suspension and 2" shackles with a 2" body to accomodate the 35's i have under it, i havent noticed any cons in using the shackles

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was thinking about the revolver shackles the other day. All they do is allow 1 wheel to drop further. They aren't spring loaded are they? So when they droop down all the way, there wouldn't be any weight or pressure on the drooping wheel, aside from the weight of the wheel and axel, would there? The mass of the wheel and axel is very small compared to the mass of the Jeep, so I will round it down to zero.

Force of friction =Mass*Gravitational Constant*Coefficient of Friction
=> 0*9.81*Mud = 0 traction gain?

I fail to see any sizeable advantage to this modification, especially if you have open diffs. It gives you more flex, but since the flexing tire is only hanging there, it would provide a very negligible traction gain... :dontknow

I ran a 1.5" shackle lift for a while before I could install my RE 2.5" springs. If you are on a budget they aren't a bad way to go. I'd probably go with shackles before a body lift, but wouldn't reccomend going over 1.5" on the shackle lift.

Oh yeah, when installing the shackle lift be sure to disconnect your traction bar, this will make the install a lot easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts