Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, sorry, but Im really not that smart when it comes to lifts. I dont really understand shackles, but I have them on my Jeep. My question is, do they fit on loosely? I was parked on this big rock, the same place I park every day, and I was looking at the rear. My pass. side shackle was bent forward while the driver side was straight up and down..........is that right?

Any help to someone still tryin to catch on to this stuff?

Nate

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If your shackles did not move, they would break. Just make sure that the bolts going through the ends, are good and tight.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Shackles are designed to move. As the spring compresses and flattens out the shackle gets pushed out. As the spring droops the shackle gets pulled in. If they didn't move your spring couldn't move. Shackles can be a good way to get a little lift without spending a bunch of cash too. Get a 2" longer shackle and gain an inch of lift.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why you guys are educating us...What is a shackle reverse (or is it reverse shackle)? It helps articulation right? Is it done with the existing shackles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
For those of you that like to be spoon fed, instead of putting the key words in your address bar, a reverse shackle is exactly what it says. You make your pivot point outbound instead of inbound, on your bumpers. There are many kits available for this procedure, just copy, and paste, "Reverse shackle", into your browser address bar, and you will see what I mean. Don't be afraid, I know you can do it.

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
damn blu! u sound like u were even more surly than I was last night!

yes, a shackle reversal is moving the shackles on the front end to the rear of the spring, theres several ins and outs to it. having no personal experience, id say read here: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/elkcahs/ thats a good articole that lays out the pros and the cons.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
jchapman34 said:
Sorry. You guys usually have a little more insight than the articles...
sorry about my last statement, that was uncalled for. The reverse shackle does several things. It gives you a better approach angle, and is supposed to be more stable. I have seen others that have done it, and they love it. I have not attempted it myself.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
From what I have read on the subject, no personal experience yet ,this will allow the spring to move in a more natural motion when encountering an obstacle. When the spring is forced up and back from the obstacle it will be moving in the same direction as the shackle. With the stock configuration the force is trying to push the spring back into the solid frame mount causing a harsher ride. The drawback that is causes is more nose dive under braking. Not sure why, but that is what the articles that I have read say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts