Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL! So......Went yesterday to get my new G2 gold chromoly rear axle shafts put in. While waiting, we went and picked up Lunatics Jeep from the tranny shop after its $2200 rebuild (ouch!).

I asked the shop to check my ball joints. I was just going to go ahead and do them if they were in anything less than good shape. Report was shockingly that they are still in great shape.

We got back the old axle shafts to have as trail spares. I was expecting them to pull out grenaded metal or smiley faces. Not even close - without a microscope, they still look to be perfect. So the bend has to be just a microzillionmeter off. As Ken predicted, they said it had to be at the flange (how they could tell no idea). So a bend will not always be obvious to the untrained eyeball for folks trying to DIY diagnose. The whoosh whoosh whoosh noise is gone, I definitely feel the rear tracking more stable now. Sort of like when I had gears done - it never felt "bad", but felt a lot better after the new ones.

I do however have another noise. GEAR WHINE! Which obviously was being drowned out by the louder axle whoosh whoosh whoosh lol. It is more of a whirr whirr whirr noise. When they were draining to do the shafts, they said they saw metal flakes. Initial hope was that the other shop that had grenaded my gears running them with no gear oil perhaps had missed something in cleanup when they replaced them.

Opened up the diff (rear) and yes - a chip in the gears!!! And the mechanics first comment was "These gears look as if they were driven dry." So either a) the replacement gearset was defective or....b) these still ARE the grenaded gears and the other shop just cleaned them up and never replaced them! I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt and go with option a.

So we go to drop the Jeep off at the other shop - which shares part of the building with Lunatics work. We pull in and Lunatic says his Jeep needs to go back to the transmission shop Monday - it isnt finding overdrive and he was running 3200 rpm on the freeway (he has 4.88 so should not even be close). So now we have ZERO trailworthy Jeeps among us lol. We decide I will just take my Jeep (shop owner wasnt in), Lunatic gets his car, and we go to leave. THE SHOP GUYS DIDNT SEE US AND LOCKED THE SECURITY GATE lol - we were locked in. Had to call Lunatics boss to let us out.

I will keep to surface streets today, then drop my Jeep back at the shop. Two Jeeps. Two upgrades. Now zero trailworthy Jeeps. We both got shafted lol!

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell me about it! I am pretty livid. Had a trail run lined up today too that I had to cancel - I was leading lol.

I also had the holes drilled to move the swaybar back. So thats good.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. I must have missed the thread where the shop ran your jeep with no fluid in the pumpkin, I would be livid also.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Wow, that sucks! Hope for option A, but skepticism the odds would make anything other than option B hard to believe. Otherwise, the shop is having the worst luck in the world.

Good luck!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sorry to hear it D.
I have had very positive experiences at both shops Mom uses, but favor one due to their responsiveness and location.
What brand gears are you running Mom?

·
Registered
796 Posts
You aren't having any luck with PHX shops, your experience has steered me away from both shops you've used.
I use one of those shops all the time and I have zero issues with them. They stand behind their work 100% and are very fair with their pricing.
Diane saved almost $1000 on her lift compared to the 2nd shop that did the gear set.
I'm pretty sure Diane will tell you who backs their work and who doesn't.
I don't judge a book by it's cover, I judge it by it's content.

MMC...get that thing running so we can go out and I can use my new winch to pull you along ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Macaw is right. While I did have some stuff to get ironed out on my lift, that shop absolutely bent over backwards and inside out to do whatever it takes make it right. Folks are human - so long as humans work on our rigs, there will be blips. There are stories out there about EVERY single shop if you read in the right places-dont kid yourself otherwise. What sets a good shop apart from a sucky one is how they handle their customers when things may not go perfectly. The shop I was at Friday I will continue to use without hesitation. They treat me right, they will make it right, I am confident in that.

The other shop the jury is out on until my gear thing gets figured out. Perhaps it really was a defective set - I do not know. Will update when I have a resolution.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So looks like I'm joining the bent axle club too.

If I may ask, why did you go with the G2 gold?? As opposed to the Revolution or Ten Factory???
Welcome aboard lol. I know a few folks who run them and have been happy with them. The shop said you couldn't really go wrong with any of them.

The only brand I have gotten any bad feedback on ironically was...RCV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts