Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

There gear stick on my 97 2.5 manual shakes from side to side probably 10-15 cm at a specific point when I start driving from complete stop in 1st gear. It can be avoided by revving the engine more and sliding more on the clutch. I’m wondering if this is normal, it’s an old vehicle after all but I also worry that this may be caused by worn engine mounts or lose bolts on the transmission or something like this. This old Jeep makes all kinds of creaking and rattling noises at various rpms and in various situations and it hard for me to tell what’s normal and not. Any hints would be much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the shaking isn’t normal? It only happens at very low rpms, at near standstill and only for 2 seconds or so,. And there’s non of it when I reverse.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Shifter is directly connected to the tranny, so vibration is normal to some extent. If the tranny mount is torn you’ll see a lot of lurching while driving at highway speeds. Remember your directly connected to the tranny so your going to see vibration from your entire drive train.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, yeah, there’s no shaking all at highway speed, just at takeoff.

·
Commercial Member
7,090 Posts
So the shaking isn’t normal? It only happens at very low rpms, at near standstill and only for 2 seconds or so,. And there’s non of it when I reverse.
Nope that's not normal (if it's bad enough you feel the need to rev and slip clutch).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s really not bad, just something I’ve noticed, but I’ll replace the tranny mount anyway and see if that does it. Maybe I’ll get the motor mounts too.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solved: New tranny and motor mounts. No shaking.

Hi all,

Just wanted to post final results. A new transmission mount plus new motor mounts did the trick and the jeep feels 20 years younger. The job wasn't bad either.

Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all,

Just wanted to post final results. A new transmission mount plus new motor mounts did the trick and the jeep feels 20 years younger. The job wasn't bad either.

Cheers
Forgot to mention that neither the engine nor the transmission mounts were broken or looked to be in particularly bad shape, but obviously they were worn regardless and gave too much play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts