Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've done the ride from Seven Springs north to Sheep Crossing numerous times. Great views all along the way. You'll go as high as 4500 feet in elevation. Good road you can do in any good-clearance vehicle. There is another route up the east side of the river to Sheep Crossing. There is a ford just below Horseshoe Reservoir and then a good road all the way to Sheep Crossing. Needs a 4WD for fording the river, and then good dirt road the rest of the way. Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The drive to Sheeps bridge via Horseshoe Lake Rd is much shorter, at mile marker 8, take a right hand turn, you will need 4wd to cross the river. One can cross the river at sheeps bridge and return via Tangle creek rd to Seven Springs on the route you described in the original post.

You can check the river flow at this link:
Daily Water Reports

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The drive to Sheeps bridge via Horseshoe Lake Rd is much shorter, at mile marker 8, take a right hand turn, you will need 4wd to cross the river.
You got me somewhat lost, I haven't been to that area yet.

Do I guess correctly that the route will look like the attached picture? If that's the case, how do I cross to the other side at the dam? I know Google Maps is often wrong (once its navigation sent me down the staircase in a car), but it doesn't look like there's a way to cross from the western side of Verde River to where Horseshoe Lake Rd begins.

Which road is mile marker 8 on? Can you give me GPS coordinates on Google Maps for it, please?

You can check the river flow at this link:
Daily Water Reports
Thanks a lot, that'll come handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are close, you cross the river miles below the dam, the dam is mile 14, right at mile marker 8 make a half right turn and stay on that trail in about 1/10 of a mile bear left at the fork and you will see the river, currently there is no water in the first crossing, keep going and in about a qtr mile you will see the river crossing, cross there you will see the sheeps bridge sign a little pass the ranch on your left.

Your map is accurate, you just don't don't go all the way to the dam
Turn at:
GPS lat 33.959633
Lon -111.699395

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are close, you cross the river miles below the dam, the dam is mile 14, right at mile marker 8 make a half right turn and stay on that trail in about 1/10 of a mile bear left at the fork and you will see the river, currently there is no water in the first crossing, keep going and in about a qtr mile you will see the river crossing, cross there you will see the sheeps bridge sign a little pass the ranch on your left.

Turn at:
GPS lat 33.959633
Lon -111.699395
Thanks, that makes sense. I guess I won't update my map now because there are too many unknowns, but will publish my track after I get to it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turn at:
GPS lat 33.959633
Lon -111.699395
Thanks again for the heads up, I went there for reconnaissance, and then looked again at the map after I got back. It's amazing how many details become obvious when you know what you're looking at.

Here's the map segment: https://goo.gl/maps/U2GJitFyEJp

Looking at it again, I see the place I stopped at (33.961220, -111.696249; being alone, and at 6PM, and having never crossed a water body before, I decided not to push it today) at left bottom. Then I see the road after the first crossing, and three vehicles (white, green, and grey) at the second crossing (33.962799, -111.693129).

Does it look like I got it right, or there are other ways to cross?

btw, Horseshoe Lake is devoid of water today, other than the stream on the west edge and some scattered puddles. That explains the zero level on that link you posted, I've bee puzzled by it but now it all falls into place.

The whole place is gorgeous, I'll definitely go there again, and more than once.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts