Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found some rust on the body right under the jeep logo what gauge sheet metal should I use to patch it? I know you can get full stamped repair panels but I'm trying to keep price minimal

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been using 20 gauge. Standard carbon steel sheet stock.
You should be able to walk into any commercial fab shop and ask them if you can buy (or have) some drop off pieces.
20g is sturdy enough and still easily worked by hand or with a small hydro shop press.
Make sure to wipe it down with a degreaser before you prime and paint it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
722 Posts
When you weld it back in use small spot welds spaced out over the entire panel. Start in one spot, tack it, move over 6" and tack again. Keep working around the whole panel until all the tack welds connect to make it solid. If you try to stitch weld it you will warp the panel and cause yourself to do all kinds of body work to fix it. I did my rocker and just had to use a 1/16" of filler to smooth the panel out.

·
Super Moderator
12,701 Posts
I suggest you follow the advice by 93YJfan unless you are using a water cooled TIG welder. (But if you have a water cooled TIG, you wouldn't be asking your question).

here are a couple things to consider....
1)- cut away the rust weakened metal around the rust hole until you have a solid surface to weld to.
2)- make sure that the area where you plan on welding is clean. No paint, undercoat, seam sealer or rust.
3)- in most instances I recommend welding the patch to the outside, but when you are close to a detail like the "JEEP" logo, you may want to put the patch on the inside and weld it from the outside so that you wont have filler too close to the logo.
4)- Have an assistant with a fire extinguisher or at least a squirt bottle with water handy and have the battery disconnected.

In the body shop, we usually have a bunch of damaged panels laying around to be carried off by a scrapper. You might go to a local body shop and ask for a wrecked hood or trunk or some other panel that they are throwing away.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the info this will be my first attempt at body work at least the bad spots are straight I won't have to deal with any contours I'll try to get some pictures of the holes I've got cut out see if y'all have any suggestions as to the shape of the patch I cut out also the structure pillar behind the panel I cut out is rusted out too i don't think it would be good to weld in a nice fresh patch to a rusty pillar I've got some thin angle I'm thinking about cutting out the bad and remaking the bottom 4inches of that support I'll get some pics of it and get your opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Try to cut straight lines. It is easier to fit straight lines than compound curves. When your panel is fitted, clamp it in place and mark where the support hits the panel and then drill 3/16" holes in your patch panel so they hit in the center of your support. Then Clamp everything back in place and when your welding the seam just plug weld through the holes you made onto the support to hold it in place.

This isn't rocket science, just take your time and pay attention to the details and I'm sure it will come out fine. Remember at 70 mph everything looks great...LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,701 Posts
thanks for all the info this will be my first attempt at body work at least the bad spots are straight I won't have to deal with any contours I'll try to get some pictures of the holes I've got cut out see if y'all have any suggestions as to the shape of the patch I cut out also the structure pillar behind the panel I cut out is rusted out too i don't think it would be good to weld in a nice fresh patch to a rusty pillar I've got some thin angle I'm thinking about cutting out the bad and remaking the bottom 4inches of that support I'll get some pics of it and get your opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Pics will help.

The Bible refers to sewing a new patch on a worn garment. You are smart to realize that welding a new patch to a rusty pillar isn't the right way to make a lasting repair.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts