Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it's normal for the diagram of the shift instructions on the knob to be crooked. Mine is pretty much facing the driver seat. Also, does anyone know what thread size I need or where I can get a white shift knob for a 5-speed? I've been to Summit racing and no luck. TJ is black so I want a standout knob.:punk:

--Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine is facing the same way as yours, not sure why....

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
The pattern is just an insert and you can pop it out and reposition it.

·
Banned
11,188 Posts
I was wondering if it's normal for the diagram of the shift instructions on the knob to be crooked. Mine is pretty much facing the driver seat. Also, does anyone know what thread size I need or where I can get a white shift knob for a 5-speed? I've been to Summit racing and no luck. TJ is black so I want a standout knob.:punk:

--Thanks
it just pops out... they're crooked because people never seem to straighten them out when there tightening up the shifter Knob itself.
(mine was the same way.) also if your looking for shifter knobs try

Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec or Rustys Offroad

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll try to pop it out. It's been there for 12 years
They don't pop out very easily. They are recessed in there and its best if you heat the shift knob enough to make the rubber pliable you can get it out easier. Don't expect to not scar up the rubber though. I just did this the other day, easiest thing to just reposition this would be to take a piece of duct tape (I used Gorilla tape) place it on the shift pattern insert and push down with a bit of force while turning the way you want it turned. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oddly enough, I thought you had to pry it or screw it off, no wag could it be as easy as just pulling it off. The part manufacturer said it took an hour to reach this knob with an aftermarket knob. I spent 45 minutes figuring out you just pull the thing off and ten minutes replacing it with this grenade one. 2011 JK shift knob. Just in case somebody searches for help. Just pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can rotate my insert just by pushing down hard with my palm and twisting.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Check out the Rocknobs from 4wd.com or Quadratec...they're around $30 for the basic one and look pretty badass. I've got one on my Jeep and love it...super comfortable too.

This is the one I ordered but the picture they have for it SUCKS...they don't actually look like a giant snowball.
Gearshift Knob by Rocknob and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

Mine looks more like this one as far as shape goes:
Shift Pattern Gearshift Knob by Rocknob and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

Here's the same $30 one from Quadratec:
RockNob RN-U-001 - Timpanogos RockNob Gearshift Knob with Lizard Logo for 41-10 Jeep® Vehicles with Manual Transmissions - Quadratec

If interested, check out whichever site you decide to order from...they have a bunch of different styles and options (ie $40-45 will get you one with the lizard AND gear pattern engraved on it, or you can get different colors styles of rocks, etc).

·
Registered
23 Posts
draimondi said:
They don't pop out very easily. They are recessed in there and its best if you heat the shift knob enough to make the rubber pliable you can get it out easier. Don't expect to not scar up the rubber though. I just did this the other day, easiest thing to just reposition this would be to take a piece of duct tape (I used Gorilla tape) place it on the shift pattern insert and push down with a bit of force while turning the way you want it turned. Give it a shot.
Man I can not seem to get my factory knob off for the life of me. I tried twisting it while pulling and pushing. I'm looking to get a grenade knob for my manual TJ....if I ever get the other one off

·
Registered
117 Posts
Man I can not seem to get my factory knob off for the life of me. I tried twisting it while pulling and pushing. I'm looking to get a grenade knob for my manual TJ....if I ever get the other one off
you need to pop out the shift pattern first and remove the jam nut inside the knob before it will come off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts