Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey wrangler fans i just got a 2007 jeep wrangler sahara 2door 6speed manual trans just wounding if anyone knows how to remove the shifter knob any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
tugboatsjeep said:
hey wrangler fans i just got a 2007 jeep wrangler sahara 2door 6speed manual trans just wounding if anyone knows how to remove the shifter knob any help would be great thanks
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum. Hope somebody comments cause I'm.interested to find out also.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
The service manual says its supposed to pull off with a quick jerk. If not it says to use a slide hammer.

Here's another method: wrap a small rag around the shift lever so it rests against the bottom of the shift knob. Take an adjustable wrench and tighten it against the rag/lever just below the knob. Hit the underside of the wrench in an upward motion with a hammer.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
He may want to remove it to swap it for aftermarket or to remove the trim around the console.

The rag/wrench/hammer method can be successfully used to remove the knob without damaging it.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Ya mean it hasn't just pulled off in your hand? :D

:popcorn:

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Haha mine did and the trim rig broke at the same time. Of course I did have a death grip on it at the time.
Yeah, I've heard of them just coming off in some peoples' hands. I keep waiting for it to happen. :hide:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Ya mean it hasn't just pulled off in your hand? :D

:popcorn:
Not the shift knob. :D

I took one off using the method shown in the video. The top cap with the numbers didn't want to stay tight once I put it back on.

·
Registered
821 Posts
SilverSport said:
The rag/wrench/hammer method can be successfully used to remove the knob without damaging it.
If you want to keep the knobs then I would recommend prying the lower plastic part off(down the shaft) with a screw driver , before using the wrench method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts