Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas, short of a hacksaw, on how to get this shift lever (the one on the left) off? It doesn't match anything in the manual I have. I know I'm a dummy when it comes to Jeeps but I can't even find the I.D. on the tranny. I took it out and changed the clutch, throwout bearing and pilot bearing in hopes of curing the rumble and vibration that my Jeep developed. I did find that the pilot bearing was pretty much crap so I'm hoping that was the cause. I managed to wrestle the tranny out without removing the shift lever but it would be a lot easier, I suspect to put it back in without that thing sticking up there. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
remove the rubber boot and push the metal retainer inside down and rotate (left i think) it will pop up then you can lift the shifter out. there should be a grommet that the ball of the shifter sits on make sure its in good shape. an easy way to check is as it sits see if you can lift "up" on the shifter there should be little to none..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Roger, I'll give it a try in the morning. I guess I didn't look closely enough at it to see the retainer. Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
remove the rubber boot and push the metal retainer inside down and rotate (left i think) it will pop up then you can lift the shifter out. there should be a grommet that the ball of the shifter sits on make sure its in good shape. an easy way to check is as it sits see if you can lift "up" on the shifter there should be little to none..

Roger maybe I'm not understanding you said lift up on the shifter with little to no play. I have a brand new ax15 and tower sitting on the trans jack next to my jeep, I went out and lifted up about an inch on the shifter. Would you say that is little to none? If I have a prob I dont want to stuff the new tranny in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
highsierracrawler the best thing to do is take the shifter out and look inside, you say its brand new? does that mean it was just rebuilt? the grommet is used as a spacer and a seat for the shifter to sit on, it is made of rubber/plastic that breaks down over time and basically dissolves (no harm to trans) but the shifter can jump out of the shift rails and get stuck so the tranny wont shift. if you want you can take the shifter out, and take/post a pic...

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, Roger: You were right. It came out slick as a whistle and after looking at the thing when it was out and comparing it to the one in the Haynes manual they are the same. The photos just didn't look like what I have. I have now wrestled the tranny back into position (that was a lot of fun...NOT) and am in the process of putting all the bits and pieces back on. Hopefully, I'll get it back running this weekend. I still have to go get a muffler put on. When I went to take the cat forward section out, the whole center tube came with it. That thing was ROTTEN. Have a safe and happy new year and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Roger this transmission is brand new waited 2 months after ordering it. Came from Asin on a slow boat from Japan. Its one of the new ones that glows green. How do I get the old shifter off to put onto the new trans it looks like it has detent pins or something to hold it to the square stock comming out of the trans.

·
Registered
22 Posts
look at the pic spooky posted the closer shifter bottom is a large round piece and then goes to the smaller bar going into the tower. The piece comming from the tower is square and fits into the round part of the shift stick im trying to separate those two so I can use the shift handle on the new transmission. Hope that helps. I'll check back later today Im taking my daughter quad riding in the mountains. Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
the shifters at one time were 2 pieces but now they are 1. the transfer case shifter sometimes comes apart but its not design to. if you want to take the silver part coming out of the trans and put a different upper piece on then good luck, not sure how that will work out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts