Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I was driving to drill, I noticed that around 70 the shift light on the dash comes on. being I have an AX15 and I was in 5th gear, I am stumped why it would come on.......Any one experience this or know of it....

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Mine newer worked and could care less. Personally I would take the bulb out or cover it. It's annoying. I know when to shift.

·
Registered
561 Posts
the angle i sit at i can't even see it lol

·
Registered
659 Posts
It doesn't know what gear you're in, it just senses engine load and throttle position. So if you're going 70 downhill and lightly on the throttle, it could come on.

The shift light tells me to shift too early anyways, I won't miss it when it burns out.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair enough. Just making sure i wasnt missing something. At 199800 miles, figured it was just acting retarded. will probably remove shift light bulb, when i replace my cluster lights.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
So as I was driving to drill, I noticed that around 70 the shift light on the dash comes on. being I have an AX15 and I was in 5th gear, I am stumped why it would come on.......Any one experience this or know of it....
I'm having the same problem after taking the AX 15 out to change engines and reinstalling it. I did a lot of cleaning to the outside of the transmission while I had it out. I am going to unplug every transmission wire connection it has, spray them with electronics cleaner and reconnect them. If that doesn't work I will remove the bulb. I'll let you know.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
I've been driving standards longer than the Jeep has. I don't need anyone to tell me when to shift. I pulled the bulb, and haven't missed it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Easy to get to just remove the cluster then remove bulb then reinstall cluster

Total under 10 minutes of actual work plus however much you add for contemplation tool collection and other fart around time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I'll need to pay some attention, but I feel like I see the shift light less often after the regear. While I don't use it to guide my driving, I also don't necessarily believe Jeep made arbitrary parameters for the light to tell us what to do. More likely, we screw it up with inadequate gearing and incorrect speedometers.

2003 Rubicon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts