Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is my problem.
I have an 02 tj 2.5L 4banger (automatic), I recently dropped the transmission to replace the torque converter seal and torque converter. Everything went pretty smoothly as far as the drop and putting it back together. After it was all said and done the jeep ran fine except to actually go into to drive now, I have to put the shifter into 2nd for it to engage into drive. Once I do that it is fine and drives normal with no problems. Also this has happened 2 times in the last week. I back out of the garage (my driveway is on a bit of a slant) and the jeep just dies. I put my foot on the brake but its hard to break. It make a noise like something is getting caught up. The first time this happened I was able to start the jeep right up in park, the second time I had to put it into neutral to get it started. If anyone can shed some light on what might be happening that would be great. Neither of the problems seem to have an impact on driving.

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
I believe there is a pawl on the side of the transmission that the cable connects to. I it might have gotten knocked out of position. Check the FSM under the transmission section for gear adjustment or something like that. Just my $.02

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I figured it out, it all has to do with the linkage needing to be adjusted. Working on it now. Its being a pain in the ass but that's all jeeps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts