Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched but had no luck. In my 91 YJ 2.5 5 speed the shifter often rocks significantly side to side when accelerating. It’s worst in first. Is this just a wrangler thing, or do I have a bad transmission mount, or???

·
Registered
480 Posts
Gas on and it goes one way, and gas off and it comes back would indicate bad motor mount or mounts. The T case should follow the trans shifter as their one piece basically. Look closely at the motor mount brackets to engine block as well as they can be problematic from hard use.

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
I agree with 8thtimer. Look at your motor mounts and transmission mount. If there's any doubt, change them They're cheap (compared to everything else we do to our heaps).

Let us know what you find and what you do.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once I looked up what a set of new mounts costs online, I just decided to change them all for good measure. I will post back in this thread once I have them installed, probably in about 2 weeks. I need to get my temperature gauge working first. :)

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Just a quick update. Took a peak under the hood earlier. The drivers side mount is visibly trashed! New mounts are already on order.
Did you also check out your trans mount, sometimes the torque arm bolt loosens or loses the nut entirely allowing a little extra slop also. It will be the lone bolt towards the drivers side of the skid plate hanging down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you also check out your trans mount, sometimes the torque arm bolt loosens or loses the nut entirely allowing a little extra slop also. It will be the lone bolt towards the drivers side of the skid plate hanging down.
I will look into that. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts