Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I shift my automatic like a manual before the RPM's get too high will it do too Much noticeable damage?

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
It'll be fine. You won't notice most of the damage. :angel:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
No. Just shift it before redline on the tach!
This. But I have to say it. Why didn't you just get a manual. Isn't the idea of getting the auto so you don't have to shift. :confused: Daggo has a point though. A steady diet of shifting can't be good for the long haul.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
joe002 said:
Click it into the 1 position, then click it into the 2 position, etc. :rolleyes:
Thanks. No wonder I haven't been able to leave my parking spot in 2 years! I've kept it in P the whole time!

What would I do without peeps like you on the interwebs?!?!

;)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks. No wonder I haven't been able to leave my parking spot in 2 years! I've kept it in P the whole time!

What would I do without peeps like you on the interwebs?!?!

;)
I especially like R for Race, but I usually end up backing into stuff when I do that... :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kik said:
This. But I have to say it. Why didn't you just get a manual. Isn't the idea of getting the auto so you don't have to shift. :confused: Daggo has a point though. A steady diet of shifting can't be good for the long haul.
I know I was in a hurry and they didn't have any manuals and I wasn't sure yet what I wanted!

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can auto stick the trans up or down at wide open throttle-the ECM and PCM (engine control and power train control modules) dictate what and when the shift happens. The 5spd tranny is not a wet clutch set up-it's electric-you won't be doing any harm to it (the trans) as long as wha others have said-shift like you would a jeep stick. It's not a race car-4k rpms isn't a bad thing-but it's a jeep, it's not really meant to be that high too often.
Lead it in D and let the right pedal do the work-IMO-otherwise all you doing is enjoying over revving a v6 and wasting gas....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Shifting your Automatic off-road is still a good/useful idea.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D YUP, thats right-

Shifting your Automatic off-road is still a good/useful idea.
Although, with my gears, I really can't putit in "D" when in 4lo--shifting is way to fast and unneaded-but

4hi and 2wd-is AOK !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need tutorials... Just cranking and go straight to 1st then when my RPMs get High shift to 2nd then drive and I'm good all while still having my foot on the acceleration

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
Face it, you bought an automatic. Put it in "D" and point it where you want to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts