Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is a 08 and when I move the lever or try to into the 4 w/d position it’s really a challenge. I’ve soaked the linkage from underneath a number of times with penetrating oil. Not much of a difference. How easy should it be and what should I do or look for?

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
It should not take excessive force. But it is a matter of finding the right technique. The gears need to line up. If they don't line up, you don't want to force it or the little plastic link may break. It is usually easier while you are slowly rolling, and either in neutral or with the clutch in.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Are you talking about going from 4H to 4L.. Or from 2H to 4H?

As GuzziMoto points out, there's a bit of a trick shifting to 4 Low, It's not uncommon to feel resistance and hear a bit of grinding now and then... But 2H to 4H should be next to effortless.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

Watch this. It’ll make sense.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I was trying 2h to 4h. I was in park at the time. I will try the neutral or slightly rolling. Thks

2H to 4H is SOMETIMES difficult because the gears aren't always meshing at a compete stop. You shouldn't really be stopped anyway when shifting from 2H to 4H. The jeep is specifically built to do that on the fly from low speed all the way up to around 50. Feel free to knock it in and out of 4H (from 2H) at anytime and as often as you like while moving. No need to shift to neutral. The gearing is synced and no damage will occur.

It's shifting into 4L that you need to be careful. The gears are not synced and you need to do that at no more than a couple mph

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same for automatic trans as well? That’s what I have and I am away on business so I’ve had no chance to try it yet

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The thread is getting a little off the rails :)

In my 2016 there is hardly any effort required to move the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H (Whether in motion or not). It feels no different than shifting the automatic transmission lever from neutral to drive.

If you are feeling a lot of resistance from the transfer case lever when going from 2H to 4H, then there is a problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
On my 2012 with 127k miles that I think may have never been or very rarely shifted out of 2H it is very firm to move to 4H. It is positive and smooth but takes quite a bit of effort. Not sure if they are different but it is the 6sp manual.

·
Super Moderator
6,746 Posts
Same for automatic trans as well? That’s what I have and I am away on business so I’ve had no chance to try it yet
Yes, both the manual trans and automatic trans should be rolling / moving when shifting between 2H and 4H. You don't want to be accelerating, typically you want to be coasting. But you want to be moving. I don't know if the automatic wants you to put the trans into N (instead of D), with the manual we just push in the clutch. To shift into 4L you want to be nearly stopped, but some slow movement can help the gears line up.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
On my 2012 with 127k miles that I think may have never been or very rarely shifted out of 2H it is very firm to move to 4H. It is positive and smooth but takes quite a bit of effort. Not sure if they are different but it is the 6sp manual.
It gets easier with usage.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I guess it's wrong to generalize, but -personally- my 2H - 4H shift has been butter smooth from the time I had 6 miles on the clock and all the way to the present.

Whether at a standstill, or moving, shifting the TC between 2H and 4H feels exactly the same. Here's a cut-and-paste from my '16 owner's manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I’m back from being away. I go out get in the Jeep drive along at 10mph, pull the lever to 4h and it moves perfect. Smooth either way. Thanks guys for letting me know how to do it !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts