Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shift am shifting it doesn't feel right. When I go into second or fourth my hurst shifter hits my center console. When I go into first or third I have to put the rod way to high up. It feels like I am going into first but it is not grabbing so I push it a little higher and it locks in. This makes no sense to me and I am not sure what is going on with it. The jeep is a 4.0 and manual transmission obviously. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Start simple first.

There are two plastic bushings at the lower part of the shift rod (at least on the stock shifter)....I'd check there to see if it's moving the way it should. Your hurst shifter may be adjusted/positioned incorrectly.

The synchronizing rings in the trans may be going south, but they will drive quite a while like that. Makes the shifting a bit notchy, tho.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Like beach said, it's probably a bad bushing at in the shifter itself. When the bushing goes bad you have to move the shifter farther to make up for the gap that is now where the bushing used to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts