Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first manual so excuse me if this is a dumb question. The other day for a few days whenever I would shift into 3rd or 4th gear, as I released the clutch the Jeep would kind of shake a little and seem to be very hesitant to jump into gear. It was the first cold days we have had, but have had even colder since and its been fine. I bought the Jeep in July, so new to stick and cold weather. Not sure if they are related? Should be concerned at all, or don't worry about it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
What RPMs are you shifting at?

·
Registered
530 Posts
This happens when you release the clutch too fast and not give enough gas... it is normal that in cold temperatures, it is harder to gear it especially in second. Did the shaking occur only occasionally or was it on a regular basis ?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those couple of days it was happening every time I went from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. I usually shift at around/just above 2000 RPM's. Didn't change my driving habits at all from normal. Definitely a different feeling than just a normal vibration. Sounds like i'll just blame it on the coldness... haven't been driving long distances so its tough to know if its warmed up every on my short trips.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
2000 isn't so bad if you're still warming up, but, in general, that's shifting pretty early. All things being normal, I'll usually do 2500 when cold and then around 3000 when warm. Some folks go a good bit higher. You'll feel pretty underpowered if you're normally shifting at 2k.

·
Registered
530 Posts
How cold are we talking here ? I live in Canada, and trust me, here, it gets depressingly cold. If the shake feels unnatural and is consistent, pass by the dealer and have them test drive it. Which year is your jeep ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I noticed once I reved up my jeep a little over 2500 it shifted a lot better. When its cold mine really doesn't jerk around to much and its been in the single digits in the morning in Ohio this week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts