Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Years ago, in order to shift into 4x4, you had to come to a complete stop, then shift the transfer case.

Usually, you can shift into 4x4 HI up to 45mph, but 4x4 LO always requires a stop or things will definitely go bang bang bad.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Shifting from 2 WD to 4WD High Range while moving is all.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Is it bad to shift into 4x4hi while stopped?

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Won't hurt it.

Although sometimes it'll take a moment to fully engage...so don't shift and then pound the gas. Ease into it and give things a moment to lock up.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks for the advice :D Just got my first jeep and still havent had time to test her out offroad with school taking up so much time and all.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I always stop,put trans in neutral,shift into 4WD,then put trans back in drive.Read the owners manual,tried it other ways,and heard the most God-awful gnashing gears sound.So I just do it my way,and it works for me.I can't imagine being at speed and snatching that lever!

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
4LO, you want to use that method...the owner's manual specifically states that it can be engaged in 4HI at speeds up to I believe 55mph (I may be wrong and the poster above saying 45mph may be correct).

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
As stated above, read the owners manual. If you don't have one, get one. They're easy to find online and will save much aggravation.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts

I wouldnt ever shift higher than 10 mph of course Im sure you can do it! in fact my jeep wont shift into 4wd unless its moving a bit

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
One thing that I didn't think of mentioning but it probably should be mentioned... don't ever shift into 4wd when your wheels are spinning at different speeds.

ie If you're stuck in the mud, don't pull up the 4wd lever while giving it gas or it's either gonna grind the gears bigtime or slam the front wheels into motion...major stress on the drivetrain. If you're stuck, it'd be a good idea to apply the brakes even since even at idle, sometimes your rear wheels will still be free spinning.

PS. BobJenkins, I don't know how that photo relates to the thread at hand, but that is a BADASS macro...lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
i always come to a complete stop. just better IMHO.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm anal. They way my Uncle taught me was to put the trans in neutral then shift to 4hi (only use 4low for crawling up a steep hill or over rocks and such where you need torque also like pulling somone out a ditch) then put the trans in reverse back up for about ten to fifteen feet to lock everything. Then go in drive and be on your merry way.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Owner Manuals from 2004 and newer are available at jeep.com for downloading in .pdf. From a 2004 Wrangler OM:
2H to 4H or 4H to 2H
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. If the vehicle is in motion, shifts can be made up to 55 mph (88 km/h). With the vehicle in motion, the transfer case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift. Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case lever.
Also on the jeep.com site you will find other information like 4X4 Basics under "For Owners".

·
Registered
172 Posts
To my understanding you can shift into 4 hi at any legal speed I believe is what I read. 4 lo I always am stopped or at a creep. I never have had to reverse or any nonsense like that in my jeep. That's why jeep tj 4wd is the best I've ever seen. Simple to use and it shifts very easily. The np 231 t-case is awesome IMO.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
To my understanding you can shift into 4 hi at any legal speed I believe is what I read. 4 lo I always am stopped or at a creep. I never have had to reverse or any nonsense like that in my jeep. That's why jeep tj 4wd is the best I've ever seen. Simple to use and it shifts very easily. The np 231 t-case is awesome IMO.
I admit I don't normally reverse, but reversing when shifting back into 2wd helps to take the tension of all the components and make sure everything unlocks properly. Otherwise when you drop it back into 2wd and you keep going forward, sometimes it takes things a bit before they loosen up enough to release (if the components are under high tension, they can't release properly). This can result in stuff breaking if you take a tight turn before everything has released and something binds up.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
What are you chancing when it's perfectly safe to do it at speeds up to 55mph?

See post #16

1 - 20 of 25 Posts