Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting all,
Thank you for indulging an old man on a transfer case question. Last weekend we went to a jeep festival that required us to cross sandy basin to get to our parking spot. (1995 YJ 2.5) Admins told us to put in 4W high to avoid getting stuck. Put jeep in nuetral and pulled trsnsfer shifter back one notch to what I thought was 4 high. My jeep is too old to have 4WD indicator light, or it is disconneted. I proceeded into the sand and immediately felt the rear sink into the sand. There i was in front of hundreds of jeeps spinning only rear wheels. of course i had a bunch of smart asses ribbing me for not knowing how to drive my jeep. I had read you need to be on a slow roll to engagee the trnsfer case, but I was stuck and could get no front wheel spin. I ended up being towed to my spot by a competeing club member. At that point i was on an incline and managed to gt it ( ithink) into 4WD low. the only reason I think this is when we left vis sidewalk it was obviousI was in LOW due to to revs while driving on sidewalk. I didn't have enough balls to turn around and try to leave through the sand in the middle of a festival. Once on pavement I did the slow roll thing and felt it go into 2wh high when i shifted the transfer case. So.. my question is, if there a way to trick the trnsfr case into 4wd when you are stuck and cannot roll? unfortrunately there are not too many places in SouthEast Floirda to practice nd i would rather not embarrass the club next1 time looking like an ass.

·
Los Angeles
1,640 Posts
Mine shifts in 4wd stopped or up to 30mph. You may just not have experience of feeling it out yet because you don't use it frequently.

Not knowing is not a reason to be embarrassed.

Reactions: Kenlee60613

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Greeting all,
Thank you for indulging an old man on a transfer case question. Last weekend we went to a jeep festival that required us to cross sandy basin to get to our parking spot. (1995 YJ 2.5) Admins told us to put in 4W high to avoid getting stuck. Put jeep in nuetral and pulled trsnsfer shifter back one notch to what I thought was 4 high. My jeep is too old to have 4WD indicator light, or it is disconneted. I proceeded into the sand and immediately felt the rear sink into the sand. There i was in front of hundreds of jeeps spinning only rear wheels. of course i had a bunch of smart asses ribbing me for not knowing how to drive my jeep. I had read you need to be on a slow roll to engagee the trnsfer case, but I was stuck and could get no front wheel spin. I ended up being towed to my spot by a competeing club member. At that point i was on an incline and managed to gt it ( ithink) into 4WD low. the only reason I think this is when we left vis sidewalk it was obviousI was in LOW due to to revs while driving on sidewalk. I didn't have enough balls to turn around and try to leave through the sand in the middle of a festival. Once on pavement I did the slow roll thing and felt it go into 2wh high when i shifted the transfer case. So.. my question is, if there a way to trick the trnsfr case into 4wd when you are stuck and cannot roll? unfortrunately there are not too many places in SouthEast Floirda to practice nd i would rather not embarrass the club next1 time looking like an ass.
Well, first off--"The admins" could be wrong... 4H is good above 30 mph but if you are going slower i.e., 10-15 mph, then 4L is better.

Also, you shouldn't have to "Trick" it.
Once power is applied to the rear shaft, the 2WD to 4WD collar should seat and engage the front diff. There is another collar for High/Low that switches to the reduction gears for low. (Note that just because you heard higher revs only means that it engaged the reduction gears NOT necessarily the front drive shaft.) Hopefully it is not a broken chain in the TC but check below items before tearing into that.

Now if your CAD Vacuum system is not working correctly or it has been removed for different axles then you won't get the 4WD light. Like you said--burnt bulb is possible, so start there.

If you want to be sure 4WD is engaging.. get the front up on jack-stands. Start the JEEP if you still have CAD for vac pressure... Put it in 4H or 4L and rotate a tire. The other tire should rotate as well.

John D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like the CAD isn’t engaging. It would explain the lack of front traction and no 4wd light. Many folks will recommend eliminating the CAD but I would diagnose the problem and repair it if needed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the CAD isn’t engaging. It would explain the lack of front traction and no 4wd light. Many folks will recommend eliminating the CAD but I would diagnose the problem and repair it if needed.
thank you for your input. if the vacuum canister is faulty what do you think about the cable adapter for lockingaxles?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANK YOU. without knowing condition of vacuum lines and 4wd light sensor i think the cable route is safest.

·
Registered
193 Posts
First I would properly diagnose the reason for your failure to put power to the front axle. Then I would make the decision on what to do. I would lean towards restoring the system to stock. That way I would have a light on my dash telling me the axle is engaged.

·
Los Angeles
1,640 Posts
My understanding is that the cable stretches over time and needs constant adjusting, like the cable for the gears or brakes on a bike. That would drive me crazy.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,811 Posts
My understanding is that the cable stretches over time and needs constant adjusting, like the cable for the gears or brakes on a bike. That would drive me crazy.
I restored my faulty CAD to factory functionality. Then after I found it to be working, and my muffler guy forgot to tie it back up and melted the vac lines I went to the cable. it has served me well for the last 5 yrs with very frequent use over the last three. I like the cable because I know it locks the axle and keeps it there when wheeling. and you can wire it so that your 4wd dash light works.
BUT, I would definitely agree with everyone that suggests you find the source of your mishap before going shopping for anything.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all!! quick question: Ipulled the indicator light switch off the housing to see if my light was functional. The "button" seemed VERY stiff and took a good deal of pressure to push it in. I have to wait on wife to check light to see if the switch is functional to decide if i want to restore to factory with parts available today. is the "button" on that switch supposed to be that stiff? if so i will replace the switch as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANK YOU. without knowing condition of vacuum lines and 4wd light sensor i think the cable route is safest.
luckily the old switch and light works. I'kll find out about the fork when the mod gets here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts