Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other day I replaced my shifter bezel and boot since the bezel snapped and the boot was torn. Now every time I sift into 2nd it has a strong tenancy to pop back out when I release the clutch. The only way to avoid it is to really slam it into gear and hold it down while realising the clutch. Was thinking that since the boot is new it just isn't flexible enough yet and the rubber is pushing it back out. Just curious if anyone else had something similar happen.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i use to have a tcase drop and was having the same issue.. ended up cutting like 1-1.5 inch under the center console to allow the shifter to correct this issue, was still having a minor issue with it popping out installed a leather shift boot had no issues afterwards.... installed a hack and tap sye and new rear driveshaft, put everything back to stock location have no issues shifting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I do but before I replaced the broken bezel and torn boot I had no problems

·
Registered
144 Posts
well those two things you replaced are putting stress onto the shifter kicking it out of gear.. i would see if using the broken bezel with the new boot fixes it, that bezel could of been broken intentionally for that reason.. and if it still continues just get a leather boot from pepboys or autozone..

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
"97 Wrangler SE, 33' KM2S, 5' lift?,"

It's probably the 5 foot lift...:D:D

Just kidding...if your shift arm has a foam tube around it under the boot, take it off, then try it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never noticed that in my sig. Still don't know my lift height since it was on when I bought it. But knowing what I know now it's probably a 4" lift lol.

I don't have one of those tubes around the arm. Looks like tomorrow after work I'll try the old stuff again and if that works then leather boot it is

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Switched out to the old boot and looks to be torn on purpose because it shifts fine now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts