Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if shifting without the clutch was bad/did something now good for the clutch/transmission?

·
Registered
723 Posts
It increases wear on the synchros because the mainshaft never slows down, like it would if you used the clutch. On an unsynchronized tranny it's not a problem since there are no synchros (obviously), and with practice double-clutching to match RPMs will eliminiate grinding.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Slow down the engine RPM's when upshifting (out of gear, in-between shifts) and speed up the engine (between shifts again) to down shift. Takes a bit of practice, but it is easy when you get the hang of it. You won't harm anything as long as its not grinding.

Figure it this way, it is a Jeep. It will break someday anyway.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just wondering if shifting without the clutch was bad/did something now good for the clutch/transmission?
We truckers learned how to "float" our gears that way. No need even to double clutch.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
A good thing to learn. I blew my internal slave and had no clutch. I used the starter to get me moving and shifted by engine speed to get it to a safe place.

·
Registered
852 Posts
A good thing to learn. I blew my internal slave and had no clutch. I used the starter to get me moving and shifted by engine speed to get it to a safe place.

Just did the same thing a few weeks ago. Got lucky and mad most of the lights, or rolled the stops on the back roads I took to the dealer.

Had I remembered the slave was external, I would have just went home and swapped it myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts